What GPS

kgb2

:laughing: I am new to geocaching, First find today, without GPS, Have won prize of £150 to purchase item of my choice. What GPS do you reccommend? , I will also use it for extended hill walking expeditions

How did you find one without a GPS??

It can be done by utilizing all the tools available to us. I've found a few without using a GPS but using other tools, tips in the cache, reading cache logs that others have posted, and the satellite view. My mom actually had 2 FTFs without using her GPS (yay mom).

But anyway :rolleyes: .... I have a Garmin Venture HCx and it works great for me. It has a color screen that I find much easier to see than the black and grey one of the first GPS I tried and returned. Although it goes to a dark blue and white display at night which I find kind of annoying. I do love that it has a USB cord which makes it super easy to quickly download coordinates. Good luck! :)

:laughing: I am new to geocaching, First find today, without GPS, Have won prize of £150 to purchase item of my choice. What GPS do you reccommend? , I will also use it for extended hill walking expeditions

It can be done by utilizing all the tools available to us. I've found a few without using a GPS but using other tools, tips in the cache, reading cache logs that others have posted, and the satellite view. My mom actually had 2 FTFs without using her GPS (yay mom).

But anyway :rolleyes: .... I have a Garmin Venture HCx and it works great for me. It has a color screen that I find much easier to see than the black and grey one of the first GPS I tried and returned. Although it goes to a dark blue and white display at night which I find kind of annoying. I do love that it has a USB cord which makes it super easy to quickly download coordinates. Good luck! :)

Hey bugg mine has settings in setup menu for day night and automatic where you can change the color's to be both the same or whatever you like. but i only have the legenend cx.

Edited by Brakeless1

:D I am new to geocaching, First find today, without GPS, Have won prize of £150 to purchase item of my choice. What GPS do you reccommend? , I will also use it for extended hill walking expeditions

Hey bugg mine has settings in setup menu for day night and automatic where you can change the color's to be both the same or whatever you like. but i only have the legenend cx.

Hey thanks! I figured that mine does as well but I just haven't gotten off my butt to find the manual and figure out how to switch it so that it's all light all the time. Thanks for the motivation. :laughing:

:rolleyes: I am new to geocaching, First find today, without GPS, Have won prize of £150 to purchase item of my choice. What GPS do you reccommend? , I will also use it for extended hill walking expeditions

£150 is about $235. Do you have to spend the money at a certain store, or can you buy one anywhere?

If you can buy anywhere, then you can get a Garmin eTrex Legend HCx for about $180 (£115) or the eTrex Vista HCx (same as the Legend, but adds an electronic compass and barometer) for about $225 (£145).

If you're willing to add a little more cash to the prize then a Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx (considered by many to be the "gold standard" for geocaching) can be purchased for less than $300 (£190).

[Edit: congrats on your second find!]

Edited by J-Way

Hey thanks! I figured that mine does as well but I just haven't gotten off my butt to find the manual and figure out how to switch it so that it's all light all the time. Thanks for the motivation. :rolleyes:

In main menu go to setup, then display, set display mode to 'Daytime.'

One of the first things I did to mine. I dislike night mode on a car GPSr too...

On topic... Venture HC is my gps at the moment. Best $115 I have spent on a 'toy.' In a year or so, if I'm still enjoying caching, I may upgrade.

:unsure: I am new to geocaching, First find today, without GPS, Have won prize of £150 to purchase item of my choice. What GPS do you reccommend? , I will also use it for extended hill walking expeditions

Pure Luck

I am currently in the market for a GPS for Geocaching, but I also want to use it on vehicle road trips. One member here who is on another site recommended the Garmin eTrex Legend HCx. When I went to purchase one, the clerk said he did not think it could be used for vehicle road trips.

It does say in the specs that Automatic routing (turn by turn routing on roads) is a feature. I thought this indicated that it can be used for raod trips. Any help would be great.

I am currently in the market for a GPS for Geocaching, but I also want to use it on vehicle road trips. One member here who is on another site recommended the Garmin eTrex Legend HCx. When I went to purchase one, the clerk said he did not think it could be used for vehicle road trips.

It does say in the specs that Automatic routing (turn by turn routing on roads) is a feature. I thought this indicated that it can be used for raod trips. Any help would be great.

It works fine for road trips. You will need to get some roadmaps for the device, such as the City Navigator series for your area.

It does say in the specs that Automatic routing (turn by turn routing on roads) is a feature. I thought this indicated that it can be used for road trips. Any help would be great.

It works fine for road trips. You will need to get some roadmaps for the device, such as the City Navigator series for your area.

Sweet. Thank you. I am going to order it today.

Oh and a silly question. Where do I buy City Navigator Maps for my area? Is it available on line or do I have to buy the program in store?

Edited by D-Roc

It does say in the specs that Automatic routing (turn by turn routing on roads) is a feature. I thought this indicated that it can be used for road trips. Any help would be great.

Sweet. Thank you. I am going to order it today.

Oh and a silly question. Where do I buy City Navigator Maps for my area? Is it available on line or do I have to buy the program in store?

I see that your finds are in North America, so you would want City Navigator North America NT (I would get the DVD version) and a blank microSD card to hold the maps. All is available on line, so look around.

Edited by coggins

Could I not get a micro SD card already loaded with City Navigator NT, North America

Yes you can. And this makes loading the maps in your receiver very easy - just insert the card and turn it on. This method is recommended if you aren't confortable manually loading large data files.

But if you buy the maps on DVD along with a separate microSD card (and card reader, if you don't already have one) you have more flexibility. If you only load the states you need, you can save space on the card to store other information like cache data or other maps. Why bother loading the massive road system in southern CA or New York City if you don't have any plans on ever going there? And if you do decide to go somewhere new, just reload the maps on the card and include the new states.

I believe you can even load partial map data for City Navigator NT AND topo maps on the same card. Use the road maps to navigate to a trailhead, then use the topo maps to navigate to the cache.

Id go for the garmin Etrex summit HC it is 190$ at costco about $200 anywhere else It works great has altimeter and compass amoung all the other awesome features!!

Thanks for the suggestion. I have already ordered the Legend HCx and I believe the Summit does not have the turn by turn auto routing I was looking for. All though I admit, the compass would have been a nice feature to have.

good morning, my name is Belén and I am student of the school of journalism of the Spanish newspaper EL PAÍS.

I am preparing an article about geocaches and I have put myself in contact with several finders here in Spain. nevertheless I know little on this practice abroad:

How it began? it does how long? in what countries more it is extended? how many usuary it has?

I would like that somebody could inform me about this, or contact with somebody to that could interview via email. I wait for its answer; thanks beforehand!!