Feature Comparision with 60Csx and Colorado 400t running 2.8?

Snipe315

Hello all,

I currently have a 60Csx and I'm thinking about selling to finance purchasing a Colorado 400t.

However...

I found this comparision between the features of both units online and was wondering this was still accurate under the latest software vaersion (2.8).

The complete list can be found here: (http://garmincolorado.wikispaces.com/Colorado+vs+60csx).

Can someone tell me if this list is still accurate or have any of these features / functions been added to the Colorado by recent software updates?

I've listed some of the features that I think are fairly important. The 60Csx supports all of these features while the Colorado does (or did) not.

• Personized Startup Page
  • Single reset control page (waypoints, tracks, altimeter)
  • Search All Waypoints by name
  • Multi-color satellite GPS page
  • Events recorded on calendar
  • Access to GPS functions when connected to computer
  • Tone Control
  • Configurable calendar view
  • Night mode/Day mode
  • Set search origin based on map location
  • Autorouting basemap
  • Accuracy rings on map page
  • Declutter map
  • Pan/zoom map in route preview mode
  • Configure switch between Track up and North up
  • Custom waypoint symbols
  • Show distance between two waypoints
  • Number of saved tracklogs visible on map at same time
  • Change track color
  • Indication of upcoming cross street
  • Prompted off route recalculation
  • Ability to add/remove geocaches
  • Ability to archive found/marked geocaches

There might be a couple in here that are related to how the Colorado handles things differently but I really think most are just plain missing from the CO. You could certainly debate whether these are important features or not but that's why there is a list so people can make that decision.

BTW, I did see one that has been added:

Set search origin based on map location

This can be done on the Colorado now by going to WhereTo?>Options>Search Near>Map Point.

GO$Rs

...Can someone tell me if this list is still accurate or have any of these features / functions been added to the Colorado by recent software updates?

I can tell you that some of the features you mention are there, and some of those have been there for quite some time...

By your "Search All Waypoints by name" do you mean geocaches, or waypoints, because on the Colorado, they are stored and treated separately. In either case, when I search by name [ "Spell..." in Colorado menus ] I can search through the entire list of geocaches (or waypoints) by name. This is challenging when you have a couple hundred waypoints named "Parking" in your pocket queries for 1500 caches. When you search by spelling, the search list is expanded just like on the 60 CSx, not just the nearest group. I seldom search waypoints by name, so I'm not sure how long this feature has been here, but I believe it has always been there.

You can use the "Spanner mode" (and not "Garmin Serial" mode) which allows you to use the GPSr while it is connected to the USB port of your computer to supply external power to the GPSr. I'm not sure when this feature was added, but I seem to recall finding it back around software version 2.4

Autorouting basemap? Yeah, it's there but do you rally want to use it? I find the Colorado basemap to have more roads on it than I remember seeing on my older 60 CSx had, but it still has no roads closer than 1.5 miles from my house. This feature has been here since I bought my Colorado back in Feb.

"Configure between Track up and North up" Yes, you can configure to have either of those, or even the new "Automotive". Once again, this option has always been there on the Colorado. Even nicer, IMO, is the ability to use different map modes for different profiles. When in Automotive profile, I have have my routing set to "On Roads, shortest distance", "Automotive" for map orientation, and a few other options. In geocaching mode, I have routing set to "off road", and "Track up" for my map orientation along with my other custom settings. I have a shortcut to "Change Profile" on the menu and I can quickly switch between the different profiles when I get into or out of the car. That makes it much lke having 2 different GPSr units with me.

Custom waypoint symbols are a simple option to change for each waypoint. Just click the button and select the symbol from the list. To the best of my knowledge, this option has always been there for waypoints as well.

I have not gone through your entire list, but these items are ones I know are features that exist on the Colorado. Most of the items I have addressed above have been in the Colorado since software version 1.3 which was what came pre-installed on my Colorado. have owned my Colorado for about 8 months now, so I'm not sure wat your source of information is, but it looks like it is quite dated...

You need to go back to the original page on the wiki to see what these are all talking about:

Search All Waypoints by Name, refers to the fact on the Colorado you just can't get an alphabetical listing of all waypoints like the 60csx. This is useful if you can't remember the name of waypoint you were looking for but seeing it would remind you. On the Colorado you have to type at least one character to start a search which narrows the list immediately.

The Colorado and 60csx are different in terms of their transfer modes. The 60csx has the advantage that it doesn't have dedicated transfer and GPS usage modes (except for transferring archived tracks)-- the whole Spanner thing on the Oregon and Colorado is a mess in my opinion. The 60csx is much easier, plug it in, transfer data or use the GPS it doesn't matter.

Configure switch between track up and north is missing on the Colorado. This refers to the option on the 60csx to set the zoom level at which the device goes from track up to north up. The CO is hardwired to 12mi zoom level the 60csx is configurable.

Custom waypoints is referring to the custom bitmaps you could create on your PC and transfer to the unit using xImage. No support on the CO or OR.

I've updated the list on the wiki page to clarify a few and remove those that have been fixed.

GO$Rs

Autorouting basemap? Yeah, it's there but do you rally want to use it? I find the Colorado basemap to have more roads on it than I remember seeing on my older 60 CSx had, but it still has no roads closer than 1.5 miles from my house. This feature has been here since I bought my Colorado back in Feb.

The basemap in the Colorado 400t has some streets. They are notriously inaccurate. And I am almost certain that the 400t basemap does not autoroute (does not provide turn by turn guidance).

The basemap in the Colorado 400t has some streets. They are notriously inaccurate. And I am almost certain that the 400t basemap does not autoroute (does not provide turn by turn guidance).

Yes and this is the sort of thing I mean. Having the basemap NOT routable is an IMPROVEMENT. It was ridiculous in the past that it was routable since it is not accurate enough for that purpose.

The discussion of searching... The Colorado/Nuvi method is MUCH better as it auto narrows the search as you type.

Sure you can't use custom icons with waypoints...but....the Geocaches automatically get the correct icons and you can use custom icons with custom POIs. With 20000 characters available per custom POI, they are much more useful.

Basically things are done DIFFERENTLY. If you don't like different, don't get a Colorado. IME, for Geocaching or automotive use, it is leaps and bounds better than a 60Csx.

WTH, let's beirefly discuss them all...

* Personized Startup Page

Instead you can have custom backgrounds for each profile.

* Single reset control page (waypoints, tracks, altimeter)

No, because it is a bad idea....

* Search All Waypoints by name

As explained above, yes you can, but it is different.

* Multi-color satellite GPS page

No...

* Events recorded on calendar

No...BUT the exact logging time and date for each log is recorded into a text file that is directly uploadable to Groundspeak and whatever other program you want. This is much better than what a 60csx does.

* Access to GPS functions when connected to computer

Yes you can with Spanner for the last few revisions.

* Tone Control

No

* Configurable calendar view

No idea, never looked at the calendar.

* Night mode/Day mode

No and THIS one would be nice.

* Set search origin based on map location

Have not tried it, but I thought this was added in the last revision.

* Autorouting basemap

As discussed this was useless and it was a good idea to lose.

* Accuracy rings on map page

No, because hardly anyone understands what they mean.

* Declutter map

Not needed as the display is much higher resolution.

* Pan/zoom map in route preview mode

No clue

* Configure switch between Track up and North up

Discussed above. Track up is for the navigationally impaired...

* Custom waypoint symbols

Discussed above

* Show distance between two waypoints

No

* Number of saved tracklogs visible on map at same time

No, but it is a BUG and will be fixed since it was already fixed on the Oregon. However keep in mind that each saved track can be 10000 points instead of 500 AND you can have as many tracks as you wish (as far as we know the only limit is on number of files).

* Change track color

As above, it is a bug that was fixed on the Oregon and should be fixed.

* Indication of upcoming cross street

Do 60csx do this??? Nuvis do, but I don't remember this feature.

* Prompted off route recalculation

No it works like a Nuvi

* Ability to add/remove geocaches

No, but IMO, this would be a bad thing as you can accidentally lose a cache. As it is, when marked as found, they move to the found list and are not in the normal searched any more, which works great. If you need to add, you can make a waypoint, so in the end is the SAME as a 60csx. You can also wirelessly receive a cache from another unit, which is a great feature.

* Ability to archive found/marked geocaches

Not sure what you are getting at that is different to the one above. You can mark as Found, unfound, dnf, need maintenance. It is easy to switch from found or unfound status.

No...BUT the exact logging time and date for each log is recorded into a text file that is directly uploadable to Groundspeak and whatever other program you want. This is much better than what a 60csx does.

Better for whom? You obviously like it, but as a 60csx user I really like the calendar feature and would miss it.

Why is it a bad idea? Just because the CO doesn't do it?

Really? Garmin took them out because no one understands them?

That answer is just plain silly. Isn't that part of the purpose of having a GPS - to make things easier?

* Ability to add/remove geocaches

No, but IMO, this would be a bad thing as you can accidentally lose a cache. As it is, when marked as found, they move to the found list and are not in the normal searched any more, which works great. If you need to add, you can make a waypoint, so in the end is the SAME as a 60csx. You can also wirelessly receive a cache from another unit, which is a great feature.

Well I delete caches manually all the time and feel it's a good feature. Wireless option is pretty cool, although I cache alone 99% of the time and would have no use for it. But it's still pretty neat.

Thank you all for replying to my questions.

* Personized Startup Page

Instead you can have custom backgrounds for each profile.

I do like the idea of custom profiles with different settings.

I at least partly agree that being able to reset seperate data points is good, however the ability to reset them all at once is and would be a nice option.

* Access to GPS functions when connected to computer

Yes you can with Spanner for the last few revisions.

I've used Spanner a bit with my 60Csx and other applications and find it okay. Hopefully it doesn't need to be restarted frequently to restore the connection (like it does on my 60Csx).

Has MorganCoke said, GPS is supposed to make navigation easier. This was an OPTION on the 60Csx that I have no doubt many people use. Heck, I even use it on my vehicle navigation system sometimes.

Thank you for all for clearing up some of the differences in the feature sets of both these units. It will make forming an informed decision easier.

:)

Now... where to sell my 60Csx...

:rolleyes:

I'm not "navigationally impaired" and I prefer Track up!

I know it was your opinion but...

So I guess Waypoint Averaging is for sissy crybaby whiners who don't understand pdop? Right? Or is it just how the Colorado is "different" than the 60CSX. :rolleyes:

Actual responses to my questions about missing features from a Garmin Tech (satire):

"Night Mode" is for bed wetters and "Declutter" is for limp-wristed weinies. :)

I'm not "navigationally impaired" and I prefer Track up!

:rolleyes: I stand by my claim!! :) (should have used emoticons the first time, people are taking me too seriously these days)...

So I guess Waypoint Averaging is for sissy crybaby whiners who don't understand pdop? Right? Or is it just how the Colorado is "different" than the 60CSX. :laughing:

You can waypoint average with a Colorado... I do it all the time... Averaging "can" be used to make better coordinates if you know what you are doing. The danger is that people think it magically creates good coordinates. Averaged bad coordinates are still bad coordinates.

I at least partly agree that being able to reset seperate data points is good, however the ability to reset them all at once is and would be a nice option.

The danger is people accidentally losing everything. I suspect it is like the accuracy circle thing, garmin gets way too many support phone calls to make it worth their effort.

You can reset all data with a hard reset. All that a hard reset loses is the waypoints (not caches), tracklogs, altimeter data and the trip computer. All settings, profile information and caches remain.

Better for whom? You obviously like it, but as a 60csx user I really like the calendar feature and would miss it.

Better for caching. You hook up the computer and bang instant links to each log page with dates and type filled in. Logging online is so much easier.

You also get a file with exact logging times that can be stored or imported to GSAK or similar. All that you get on the 60 series is a list of logs on the day you did them with no other information. The information is not accessible off of the unit so has little use.

Really? Garmin took them out because no one understands them?

Garmin took them out because their call centers are full of people asking what it is and how to get rid of it...

I have a 60CS, not a 60CSx, but I've always said that the 60CS has left me for want of nothing.

I use blue-charts and tidal predictions since I hunt and fish saltwater. I put tidal points on the calendar to predict future tides to plan hunting and fishing trips.

I use Topo 2008 along with the barometer when hiking the mountains.

I use an old copy of Metroguide 4.0 since it autoroutes on the 60CS and doesn't need to be unlocked.

I have it hardwired directly into the 12VDC systems in both of my boats and my Ford Explorer.

I connect it directly to my GPSmap 440s, FF250C and FF350C where it displays and records depth and temperature along with my track information.

I use the alarm almost every day.

The barometer at sea level does a great job of predicting whether a "pop-up" thunderstorm is going to hit me or not.

Did mention that I am for want of nothing?

(sorry for rambling but I really like my 60CS)

2622358697_1859aa889c_b.jpg

Edited by Rubberhead

No Support for Waypoint, Tracks and Routes

Support for real-time position and time as far as I have seen.

Not in Spanner mode. You access those in drive mode.

What is drive mode?

In Setup -> Interface -> I can choose

- Garmin Spanner

- Garmin Serial

- NMEA In/Out

- Text Out

- RTCM

Did I miss a setting?

Setting the CO to Garmin Spanner lets me connect the CO with my Computer via USB, not switching the CO to masstorage and communicate with compatible programs.

I have tried gpsbabel and OziExplorer, both using the Garmin PVT protocol

(The Spanner Program available for Windows PC's translats the PVT into a serial NMEA protocol).

Wih OziExplorer a can use "Moving Map" (real-time position) but not sending or receiving routes, tracks and waypoints from / to the CO.

With gpsbabel I can write tracklogs on the pc but not more.

Mass storage mode.

You can't transfer waypoints and such via PVT, because the units don't store waypoints and such in that fashion. To transfer waypoints, routes, tracks, etc.. go into mass storage mode and open or save to the file "Current.gpx" with whatever program you want.