TB takenbut not logged and no response

crevis79

I had a TB that was picked up by someone. They mentioned it in their post for the cache that they found that they picked it up, but they never logged the actual TB find.

I have been trying to contact the person through GC.com but they have not answered back in over 4 months. I can see that they log in on a regular basis from the information on their profile. i am afraid that they are ignoring me.

Is there any way that I can try to contact this person other than by the send message link on their profile? Can Groundspeak help me with this.

Help me geocachers, you are my only hope.

"Grabbed the Greasy Spoon TB (will log it later when I have the # with me). "

I can only assume this means he placed the bug somewhere, before making this log, and forgot to write down the tracking number.

Looking through the logs from the same day all the rest are micro caches which may or may not be able to hold your spoon TB. One cache was muggled immediately after this cacher found it. Was your bug in there? Who knows?

Do I think this cacher is ignoring you? Yes, yes I do. I suggest forgetting sending anymore emails, it's not going to help. Just let the whole matter sit for a few more months and if it still doesn't turn-up, re-release the bug.

Do I think this cacher is ignoring you? Yes, yes I do. I suggest forgetting sending anymore emails, it's not going to help. Just let the whole matter sit for a few more months and if it still doesn't turn-up, re-release the bug.

If one pesters the cacher enough by emailing them, that will only induce them to create a new geocaching name and start using that.

Like someone who took a travel bug of mine a few years ago and has only visited one or two caches since then, but for some reason he logs into his profile at least once a week. With the small number of finds he has, I'm sure by now he is someone else with lots more finds. He's just embarrassed that he stole/lost/destroyed someone elses travel bug. I think it's time to send another email, perhaps only the 4'th one, one per season.

I had a TB that was picked up by someone. They mentioned it in their post for the cache that they found that they picked it up, but they never logged the actual TB find.

Help me geocachers, you are my only hope.

Hi: I've only been at this a while now... This is a widely occuring situation for sure, but it seems to be more complex than simply malicious, or even absent mindedness, sloth,... whatever. I'm not sure that badgering someone about it is much use... but gentle reminders have some place... In fact I'm considering nudging someone myself... not out of anger but I moved my first TB a while back (not mine per se, but my first find and move on, retrieve and drop) It was picked up by someone and probably will see a placement somewhere appropriate. Last time I looked it was still in posession of the cacher... I don't see a problem there, he is probably searching for a good, goal oriented, not to be wintered in, and big enough cache.

However... I'm just itching to see where he places it... but hasn't... the suspense is too much.

One thing I have noticed is that there are lots of people caching that log into the cache, but never log here. They don't seem to be members here. They know where the caches are, collect coins and TB but don't ever place them anywhere. They do seem to log many of them out... and sign the logs as taking them... but don't seem to either place or log online HERE.

As BD demonstrates there are many ways to check for info on the histories of both members and TB/GCs.

In an aside to BD... is there a way to browse 'members' especially former as well as current? I'm terrible with names and such... Right now I'm searching for a TB that I hoped to pickup, but the logs said it was missing from the cache... I found the log entry that 'took' it and the name / date... my log for the cache mentions the taking and the date (sent also to the owner), but does not use the name which I wrote down but didn't remember completely... (I did give possibles to the owner though)... I have used my poor recollections to go through the Caches Found By section of the search mode.... not one comes back... not surprising since they don't seem to be online. I do know databases and am good at tracking things...

I assume these are affiliated with a caching club/web site that is not GC.com and that is how they come up with the coordinates etc. I've seen a few that don't require membership to get coordinates etc. They may just get them from friends.

Anyway... I just wondered about other tools for tracking histories and people... I like mysteries, be they missing caches, TBs, GC's almost as much as cacheing. Speaking of GC's, I know this is the TB section, but I notice that many suppliers supply neat little racks for displaying GC's... I wonder if THEY make it clear that they are for non trackables (owned or traded goods, not found) to their customers... There is a lot of emphasis on finding hidden treasure in the media and by implication 'finders keepers'.

Doug VE7RXC

.. is there a way to browse 'members' especially former as well as current?

There is the http://www.geocaching.com/find/ option. It will do a “match anything like” type search but will only provide 21 returns. If the account hasn’t been or is no longer validated you won’t be able to view the account profile.

I typically do most of my searching/investigation via the cache logs and associated profile. It can be very tedious work sometimes.

One thing I have noticed is that there are lots of people caching that log into the cache, but never log here. They don't seem to be members here. They know where the caches are, collect coins and TB but don't ever place them anywhere. They do seem to log many of them out... and sign the logs as taking them... but don't seem to either place or log online HERE.

As BD demonstrates there are many ways to check for info on the histories of both members and TB/GCs.

In an aside to BD... is there a way to browse 'members' especially former as well as current? I'm terrible with names and such... Right now I'm searching for a TB that I hoped to pickup, but the logs said it was missing from the cache... I found the log entry that 'took' it and the name / date... my log for the cache mentions the taking and the date (sent also to the owner), but does not use the name which I wrote down but didn't remember completely... (I did give possibles to the owner though)... I have used my poor recollections to go through the Caches Found By section of the search mode.... not one comes back... not surprising since they don't seem to be online. I do know databases and am good at tracking things...

I assume these are affiliated with a caching club/web site that is not GC.com and that is how they come up with the coordinates etc. I've seen a few that don't require membership to get coordinates etc. They may just get them from friends.

The name of the bug, the EXACT name of that bug will show up in the Inventory

of bugs for that cache. Click on see the history near the top on the right side of the cache you remember the bug to be in. Even if they rename the bug, it will be in the history. But you may have to wade through many bugs to find the one you remember if it has been renamed.

One only needs the most basic of accounts here to see the coordinates for all but Premium Member Only caches. That's free and always has been. In the past you actually didn't even need an account, withoout being logged in you could see coordinates, but that was changed sometime in 2005.

If you see lots of names of people logging in the logbooks and taking travel bugs and geocoins, but not logging online, and those bugs disappear forever, you should send those names to your local reviewer or to contact@geocaching.com. That's THEFT.

If you see lots of names of people logging in the logbooks and taking travel bugs and geocoins, but not logging online, and those bugs disappear forever, you should send those names to your local reviewer or to contact@geocaching.com. That's THEFT.

I really haven't seen much action taken against people who say they took a bug but never logged it out.

"if it still doesn't turn-up, re-release the bug."

This is probably what I will do. It is sad that the person just can't tell me what happened. I would like to TB to still be moving, but just knowing what happened would make me fel ok.

To re-release do I need to get another set of TB tags? Any advice would be great.

Thanks

I really recommend waiting at least a year before re-releasing a bug. I know this can seem like a really long time especially if you only have one or two bugs. Having a whole bunch kind of eases the pain when one is missing.

To re-release, you should have been given a copy tag. If you don't happen to still have it you can make a homemade one. Pet stores and stuffmarts have tag making machines.

Edited by BlueDeuce

The name of the bug, the EXACT name of that bug will show up in the Inventory

of bugs for that cache. Click on see the history near the top on the right side of the cache you remember the bug to be in. Even if they rename the bug, it will be in the history. But you may have to wade through many bugs to find the one you remember if it has been renamed.

One only needs the most basic of accounts here to see the coordinates for all but Premium Member Only caches. That's free and always has been. In the past you actually didn't even need an account, withoout being logged in you could see coordinates, but that was changed sometime in 2005.

Hi there... I can track the bug / coin OK as I said... My concern was trying to find the person who picked it up... and logged that fact... In the one case in mind the TB is still in inventory on the cache but not IN the cache... it was logged out. I posted my find and the date of the pickup from the log on the cache page and notified the CO of the details... I am just doing a little local research trying to ID the retriever on my own.

I got the note about the 'find' method and it works... What I was looking for was BROWSE capability since my memory is real bad and apparently my writing... so I can come close but not exact to what's there. I'm trying to get a ride back to read it again... (car is sick right now). This time I'll get pic of the log... unless it shows up... I'm not really worried, but people have missed the bug for a while now... I have to check to see if the cache owner has 'removed' it from inventory...

I'm more concerned about the TB I picked up recently... it's big and I'm hoping to move it East before winter sets in... I don't want it snowbound here and most of the local caches are U/S. IF it gets delayed, I'll email the owner and advise... at least its safe here. The closest caches are often muggled and this is a nice traveller. That's a bit off topic, but I care a bit... certainly it won't fit in the micros that are mostly nearby.

Doug VE7RXC

There is the http://www.geocaching.com/find/ option. It will do a “match anything like” type search but will only provide 21 returns. If the account hasn’t been or is no longer validated you won’t be able to view the account profile.

I typically do most of my searching/investigation via the cache logs and associated profile. It can be very tedious work sometimes.

Thanks... I think I did try that 'find' method... I was more looking for a browse mode in hopes of supplementing my poor memory for detail on inconsequential matters... like spelling and spacing etc.

I still suspect that it isn't all that evil... just a person who needs enlightenment...

as don't we all at some point or other.

Doug VE7RXC

Thanks... I think I did try that 'find' method... I was more looking for a browse mode in hopes of supplementing my poor memory for detail on inconsequential matters... like spelling and spacing etc.

I still suspect that it isn't all that evil... just a person who needs enlightenment...

as don't we all at some point or other.

Doug VE7RXC

Hey! Email me what details you have, bug, cache, etc. I don't guarantee an answer but I'd be happy to help where I can.

Hey! Email me what details you have, bug, cache, etc. I don't guarantee an answer but I'd be happy to help where I can.

I'll contact you, but I don't think it will do much to help on the missing TB... since the log out in question is only on a piece of paper in the cache log book. I've done most of what can be, still haven't had a reply from the cache / TB owner (same)... I guess they are waiting a while, although I'd feel better if they would do the inventory deletion so people don't expect to find it there, but the logs show a few disappointed seekers.

As for my first attempt at moving one on... It has recently found a good home and is touring caches in the desired goal for it's out trip... and contemplating it's return home when finished... I'm much relieved!

I'm doing the locale with the new one... and once I can get out again (vehicle problems) it will move on.

Doug VE7RXC btw... thanks for the advice again.

Who are you kidding?? Theft?? Someone took something and left it in a tupperware container in the woods. That sounds like abandoned property to me. Not to mention littering.

Crevis 79

Excuse my intrusion here, but with all due respect the TB has been missing now for how long? From a humanitarian point of vew have you considered what might have happened in the life of the cacher that retieved your TB?

Here is an example of what happened to one of my coins recently. It was logged into a cache [in California] but never logged out at all. Subsequent cachers commented in their logs that th ecoin was not in the cache. I then decided to contact every cacher that had found the cache since the coin was dropped off - around 12 cachers. I received replies from the majority of those contacted within a few days. A couple did not reply at all. Anyway, I was now resigned to the fact that the coin was MIA and I was about to archive the coin. This was about 3 months after the coin went missing.

Out of the blue - last week in fact, I received a reply from one of those who had failed to reply initially. A couple of days after they had visited the cache the father noticed that their youg son had a coin in his possession. He had removed it from the cache as "swag" and the father did not notice that he had done so. He placed the coin in the ashtray of his car with the intention of logging it into his possession. That day he was involved in a massive auto accident. When he was eventually in a position to read and answer e-mails he read my e-mail enquiring into the whereabouts of my coin. He decided to go look in his wrecked car and guess what - the coin was still there!!! :(

The honours have now been done and the coin is back in circulation once again - albeit a few months later! Moral of the story - not all cachers are thieves and sometimes there are very valid reasons why a TB or coin can go MIA. I generally will wait about 2 months before I start "looking" for a MIA traveller. I have also been guilty of a TB getting "lost" in my wagbag for a few weeks as well and guiltily sending the owner a PM apologizing and getting it placed as soon as possible. :ninja:

I hope that this helps restore a bit of faith in fellow cachers again? :ninja:

Happy caching.

cincol