Problem converting .kml file to .gdb file with GPSbabel & GPSvisualizer

eaparks

Can anyone suggest what I may be doing wrong? I have created several tracks (paths - about 20) and waypoints (about 30) in Google Earth and saved as a .kml file. The waypoints and tracks I created using custom colors and used the circle with a dot in the center as the icon, from the available list in GE. The .kml file will reopen in GE correctly so I know all the data is in the file. When I try to convert the .kml file to a .gdb file using GPSbabel it tells me the file was converted but when I try to open the new .gdb file in Mapsource there are no waypoints or tracks listed therefore none are appearing.

I also tried using GPSvisualizer and it also told me the file was converted properly but still not able to see any of the waypoints or tracks in Mapsource. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

I believe you can only create kml files one at a time. Right-click on the path and select Save-As .kml . You'll have to do this with each path. This is the way I've done it and has worked for me. I haven't tried it any other way; so there may be other ways. I've never tried to save waypoints, but I suppose I would do it the same way.

Thanks for the suggestion. In the mean time I got it to work. I was doing a File Save As from the menu buttons at the top of the page and no data (waypoints & tracks) were being saved where they would appear when the .kml file was converted. I highlighted the file in the GE Temporary Folders section and right clicked on it and saved it from there and all waypoints (56) and tracks (23) would then show up in Mapsource when the .kml file was converted to a .gdb file. Before, I was copying the temporay folders to GE My Place and then deleted the temporary folders and saved as a .kml file but couldn't ever get it to work using this procedure.

Make sure that your .kml is clamped to the ground before creation.

I have .kml files with thousands of tracklogs and points.

That is right click>properties>altitude>select clamped to ground.

I also use another program to write the .kml files with, GPSTrackmaker.

I have topo overlays for GE.

Therer are many other things you can do with it as well.

One other thing is that if you are not using GE Plus I am not sure it really writes the files for you.

I use the GE Plus and it is well worth the $20.00 per year.

Hope this helps.