Research help

syfun

We've found a dozen EarthCaches and we wanted to place one. Through the caching that we have done, we ran across an area called the Kawkawlin Creek Flooding in Midland County, Michigan. Two nearby caches are: GC16VBY and GC1498. I grew up in Midland and lived there for the first 26 years of my life. By mom and dad were both born, raised, and still live in Midland. We never knew this was here and were amazed at the sight. I think this would make a nice EarthCache. There is parking nearby, a dirt two-track/road that goes right along one side of the flooding so it would be pretty easy for cachers to find. Plus there are two traditionals a short hike away.

What I have come up with so far is that it is part of the Sturgeon creek headwaters (from looking at DNR maps). It is an are of wetlands that gather the water in the area which then forms into a creek and continues on down to join with other creeks/rivers (from doing other headwaters caches).

Here's the problem. I can't find anywhere that explains what exactly a "flooding" is. I can't find anything that gives any details of the size or this particular flooding, ie acreage or volume.

Can anyone point me in the right direction? Either for information on floodings in general or this specific one.

Thanks for any and all help.

Steve

Here's a couple pics we took while there:

My dad and my two kids at the flooding

66a0a4a7-8763-443f-bc08-aed296c1f3d6.jpg

There are two deer in the red box

3e0710ba-2cbe-4b61-913d-0a18bb413679.jpg

SWAG:

Most all streams have a flood plain. Some flood plains are so 'wetlandy and marshy' that you would be hard pressed to tell where the stream edge really is.

My WAG (I'm going to drop the S after all) is that the flooding is the floodway/marsh/wetland area that serves this stream. In other words the area in your photo's.

Edited by Renegade Knight

In Michigan, floodings are man made creations. In this case I'll bet it was the DNR who created it to benefit wildlife. Without a doubt there is a dam (usually very small) that will be found on the creek.

It is possible to make this an EarthCache, but it will require a lot of foot work. I say footwork because there doesn't appear to be much online for information. It would most easily be a "river feature".

If you really want to proceed I would suggest your local DNR field office. They should have all the information or know where to get it. Here is a link to the field office that covers Midland county Gladwin Management Unit.

Good luck,

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

In Michigan, floodings are man made creations. In this case I'll bet it was the DNR who created it to benefit wildlife. Without a doubt there is a dam (usually very small) that will be found on the creek.

It is possible to make this an EarthCache, but it will require a lot of foot work. I say footwork because there doesn't appear to be much online for information. It would most easily be a "river feature".

If you really want to proceed I would suggest your local DNR field office. They should have all the information or know where to get it. Here is a link to the field office that covers Midland county Gladwin Management Unit.

Good luck,

Deane

AKA: DeRock & the Psychic Cacher - Grattan MI

Thanks a lot for this information. I couldn't understand why it was called a flooding but now it makes sense. I have already emailed the DNR and the Michigan Wildlife Conservancy who had something to do with a restoration project there (the dam maybe?) asking for information. I no longer live in the Midland area, we're in Oxford, MI now so email is my first attempt for contact.

I don't mind doing the legwork. I find it very interesting, I hope someone else will find it interesting too. Like you said, there isn't much information online about this area. All the more reason to set up an EarthCache, right?

Thanks

Steve

The “Flooding” could also serve another purpose that of flood control. This might be designed as a flood retention mechanism. Say much like a “Dry Dam” or a Parking Lot Retention Pond. It’s purpose would be to hold back large flows and discharges in an attempt to regulate the surface flow. You may want to check w/MI DNR and see if there may also be a groundwater recharge benefit…