What would you do?

elephantman

somebody has logged a find on one of my caches and has stated in their log "muggles have got this one" they then go on to say "judging by the rude remark written in the log"

Today I checked on the cache, no signature or date from the cacher concerned and no rude remark!! So what to do? Do I delete their log? (and how do I do that?) or should I just leave it? even though it's fairly obvious (to me anyway) that they've not even visited the cache...any advice will be gratefully received...thanks

Shoot them an email first, and (without sounding accusatory!) ask them if they are certain this is the muggled cache. I attempted like, 15 in one day once, found probably 10 or so, and got confused while filling in logs which were which, and had to go back and edit a couple of logs to fix the confusion.

It's _possible_ that they were just confused as to what they had found or not found, or picked the wrong cache to enter the data in.

Never ascribe to malice what can be ascribed to confusion, until proven otherwise. :laughing:

Yes to all the above, but if push comes to shove, don't hold back from deleting their log. If they've not signed the logbook (and it could be anywhere- not everyone signs the 'next obvious page') then they've not complied with the basic rule of caching; prove that you were there. If they didn't even find your cache, only another one, that's not your problem either. Letting 'bogus' logs stands devalues the idea of 'numbers' (for good or bad!) but also says a cache was in place when perhaps it wasn't (although it was in your case) and can cause confussion. People with fake finds make very poor PAF's, btw <_<

The guidelines on owner cache maintenance are quite clear, "The responsibility of your listing includes quality control of posts to the cache page. Delete any logs that appear to be bogus, counterfeit, off topic, or not within the stated requirements." . If this log is bogus then delete it. If it is misleading for other cachers saying the cache is muggled when it isn't then delete it. You should politely pm the person who logged it to inform them why you've deleted it and ask them to explain why they posted such a log. If they object they can contact you.

Logs are not actually deleted from the cache page but archived so they are not visible. If the log is genuine then it be re-instated if needed.

Graculus

Edited by Graculus