Is it possible to update the basemap?

Latentk

Hey everyone, first time posting since I started caching not to long ago. I just ordered a refurbed Garmin Etrex LEgend Vista Cx for a great price and am awaiting its arrival. I do have a question that I thought would've been answered on Garmin or elsewheres site. I know it is loaded with a satisfactory basemap. Is it possible to download firmware or system updates that update the basemap? I know that Garmin has system updates and was REALLY hoping they give the option to flash the basemap to a more recent iteration. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!!

You can't update the basemap. A newer one probably wouldn't be any better, anyway.

Check out these maps. http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/19/

They are free and they are very good. They just aren't routable on the GPS unit.

What exactly does routing mean? It cannot "guide" you to a destination? Is this something you load onto the MicroSD? And hwo much space does it take up?

Problem with the Etrex's is you can only load up a single map at a time, so I'd be switching between topo and this map all the time LOL. Probably NOT a huge deal, but just curious. THanks!!!!

Yes, 'routing' means that the unit/maps will give you turn by turn directions. These won't.

They would be loaded to the microSD card of that unit since it doesn't have any internal storage for maps.

You can load as much or as little as you want. And although you are correct that the unit will only read a single mapset at a time, you can load maps from different map products in MapSource to the same mapset.

You just select all the map tiles from each map product that you want to load and then send them at the same time. (Unless you are talking about Topo maps on a preloaded microSD card. In that case, yes you would have to switch cards.)

I just ordered a refurbed Garmin Etrex Vista Cx for a great price and am awaiting its arrival. I know it is loaded with a satisfactory basemap.

I really wouldn't use the word satisfactory to describe the base map in any garmin handheld I have owned, I can think of another S-word that more accuratly describes the basemap(Sh*tty).

My Magellan and Lowrance models had much more detailed basemaps(as well as older garmin handhelds). The base map in most newer garmins is not only missing any road that's not a main hwy, it will sometimes be missing sections of main roads too.

You can autoroute(turn by turn directions) with the basemap, but since its missing 95% or roads, its pretty worthless. to have full US coverage for autorouting you need to buy garmins City Navigator 2009NT maps for around $100.

You will also need to buy an MicroSD card to load the maps to. If you buy a 1gb you can load almost the whole US, a 2gb card you can load the whole US. you can also buy a pre-loaded microSD card from garmin that already has the whole US loaded. it cost around the same price as the DVD but you can't use these maps on your PC so it's not really worth it.

I'm looking at getting either a Garmin 60csx, or an Oregon. Are either of the basemaps on those units worth a darn? And if not, do these maps work on these units as well?

Thanks,

Chapskis1

No handheld unit's base maps are worth a darn. Not from Garmin, not from Magellan, not from Lowrance. You get highways and major roads only. If you want detailed, routable maps you need to buy the software.

Here's an idea... Get a Venture HC **AND** a Garmin Nuvi 205 instead of a 60CSX and/or Oregn plus the mapping software...... By the time you by a Garmin 60CSx and the mapping software, it will cost less to get the two above units. And you'll get the best of both words, a real car GPS that auto routes, a larger screen, and talks to you AND an excellent handheld GPS unit that will lead to any cache on the planet.

it's easy to upload caches to the Nuvi via POI's, let the Nuvi lead to the area of the cache via voice, then use the Venture to finish the job.

You should be able to get the Venture HC and the Nuvi 205 for well under 300 dollars.