How to view cache info on Oregon 300

Miikey

Im thinking of buying one.But while viewing the manual cant find any info on where to view cache info that would normally be on my pda.How is this accomplished and is it a hassle to find? Ive always thought eliminating a pda in the field would be great.Thanks:))
Under the geocaching menu, you tap on the menu called "cache description". This brings up a screen with the complete cache description and the logs for that cache. There are also other menus under geocaching that will show you the hint, allow you to log the cache, or take you to another cache.
Im thinking of buying one.But while viewing the manual cant find any info on where to view cache info that would normally be on my pda.How is this accomplished and is it a hassle to find? Ive always thought eliminating a pda in the field would be great.Thanks:))
Under the geocaching menu, you tap on the menu called "cache description". This brings up a screen with the complete cache description and the logs for that cache. There are also other menus under geocaching that will show you the hint, allow you to log the cache, or take you to another cache.

Great, thanks alot for the info!

Hi Snake... When you mark a cache as found in the Oregon, how is it that information gets onto geocaching.com? Is there a way to upload them all, or is it just for your notes and you have to do it manually later??

BTW, your cache "Koala Food" was a GREAT cache LOL.....

JJ

Hi Snake... When you mark a cache as found in the Oregon, how is it that information gets onto geocaching.com? Is there a way to upload them all, or is it just for your notes and you have to do it manually later??

I believe the Oregon works the same as the Colorado. When you make a cache Found (or any other status for that matter) it writes a line into the "/Garmin/geocache_visits.txt" file. When you are done, you upload that file to geocaching.com (the link to work with Field Notes is in the right hand column off your profile page). I use this technique to log my caches from my Colorado 300.

I believe the Oregon works the same as the Colorado. When you make a cache Found (or any other status for that matter) it writes a line into the "/Garmin/geocache_visits.txt" file. When you are done, you upload that file to geocaching.com (the link to work with Field Notes is in the right hand column off your profile page). I use this technique to log my caches from my Colorado 300.

This is correct for the Oregon as well. It is nice because if you have a lot of caches to log, you don't need to hunt them down on geocaching.com to log them. Upload your text file and they are already marked as found (or not found :ph34r: ) along with any notes you made in the field. You still have to add a nice log entry and submit it, but it is much easier than trying to remember which ones you did, or going through your found caches on the GPS.