No Oregon 200 Nav Tones?

Yesterday, I went out and bought the Oregon 200 at REI. I went with the 200 because I didn't think I'd ever use the electronic compass or the altimeter. I had the features on my other GPS units and never used the features. Anyway…I used the OR today while caching with my son and I noticed that I didn’t hear any beeps or alarms when I arrived at the cache sites. Since it was so new I figured that didn’t setup everything and I’d fix it when I got home.

At home, I scrolled through the menus and couldn’t find anything so I broke down and opened the manual. The manual indicates that the OR line has the tones but I still couldn’t find them on the OR 200. Off to the internet…That’s when I found a couple threads noting the lack of tones on the OR 200. I never thought or even saw anything mentioned in the specs that told me that the Oregon 200 DOES NOT HAVE AUDIABLE TONES when navigating. What gives? I'm a little irritated that I spent $450 for something that doesn't make a sound!!

Why doesn’t the OR 200 have audible tones? Has Garmin mentioned anything about the lack of tones? Just curious. I may return the unit to REI and upgrade to the 300. Not sure yet.

Thanks for the info. I guess I should have done some more research before I bought it. Why did they remove the audio tones and alarms but still provide turn by turn navigation? Isn't that a little dangerous?

Thanks again.

It's cheap and easy to leave out hardware, and even more so not changing the software. Really, not unexpected

from any manufacturer using the same base for differently optioned versions of the same model. As far as

dangerous, it's hard to tell, might be more-so to blindly rely on an electronic device's perception of reality compared

to your own. Most people seem to think the audio output is somewhat lacking in volume, like turn off the radio quiet.

It's probably less aggravating knowing it's mute, than to know it makes sounds you can't hear, YMMV!

Norm

Edited by RRLover

Yesterday, I went out and bought the Oregon 200 at REI. I went with the 200 because I didn't think I'd ever use the electronic compass or the altimeter. I had the features on my other GPS units and never used the features. Anyway…I used the OR today while caching with my son and I noticed that I didn’t hear any beeps or alarms when I arrived at the cache sites. Since it was so new I figured that didn’t setup everything and I’d fix it when I got home.

At home, I scrolled through the menus and couldn’t find anything so I broke down and opened the manual. The manual indicates that the OR line has the tones but I still couldn’t find them on the OR 200. Off to the internet…That’s when I found a couple threads noting the lack of tones on the OR 200. I never thought or even saw anything mentioned in the specs that told me that the Oregon 200 DOES NOT HAVE AUDIABLE TONES when navigating. What gives? I'm a little irritated that I spent $450 for something that doesn't make a sound!!

Why doesn’t the OR 200 have audible tones? Has Garmin mentioned anything about the lack of tones? Just curious. I may return the unit to REI and upgrade to the 300. Not sure yet.

isnt there an upgrade...

Look at the Owners Manual again. Specifically page ii of the Introduction section. The chart at the bottom of that page shows that the Oregon 200 does not have 2-axis compass, Altimeter, Audio Tones, Wireless Communication, RS-232/NEMA Serial Communication and Alarm Clock that the Oregon 300 and 400’s have. Other than that I don’t think Garmin says it anywhere else. I fell into the same trap you did but I only paid about ½ as much for mine. I use mine a lot for auto navigation so I found a good deal on a Oregon 400t and bought one.

I have the Oregon 400t and use the auto navigation feature extensively (between caches or just as an on road navigator). I like it fine - no voice telling me things I don't want to hear - just discreet (but audible) beeps. I drive a Jeep and top on, top off, bikini top flapping at highway speeds, I can hear the beeps fine.

Sorry that the 200 didn't measure up for you - I think the 300 should take care of you just fine.

The beauty of:

THE REI 100% Satisfaction Guarantee

Our 100% satisfaction guarantee ensures that every item you purchase at REI meets your high standards—or you can return it for a replacement or refund.

http://www.rei.com/help/guarantee.html

Edited by andynshe