looking for a Garmin eTrex H usb cable

tjolly

Stupid things are expensive as all getout, too.

We tried making our own using a kit we found on the net pretty cheaply in relation to the cost of the garmin cable, but we were not successful.

You can buy them on ebay for a little less if you look around a bit. I found that the main problem with the ebay one was that the shipping cost as much as, if not more, than the cable itself was worth.

So... for now, we're inputting waypoints by hand still *sighs*

Naomi

Depends upon which etrex h you have. (thanx, garmin, for the confusing names....)

If you have the really bottom of the line etrex h with the serial cable and a modern computer, yeah, you'll need to spend a substantial percentage of the value of the GPS on cabling it to the computer between the proprietary serial cable and the usb adapter.

If you have something like an eTrex Venture HC (which is like $11 USD more) there is a cable in the box and even if there's not, it's a commodity cable for < $4USD with shipping. http://www.pcmicrostore.com/PartDetail.asp...502867;c:100077

one that goes straight from the unit to the usb on a pc. thanks

Check out the following link:

http://www.pfranc.com/cables/index.shtml

In the upper left box is everything you might need, from a pFranc e2PLUG connector with a bare cable, to one with a bluetooth transmitter and auto adapter for the eTrex H. There is also the USB solution you have asked for. None of the other cables linked in earlier posts here will work with an eTrex H.

I found the a converter cable for my etrex. Got it from Radioshack for about $30 - $35. I did not have any problems once I installed the disk, and downloaded from Geocaching...it was worth not manually entering coordinates anymore! Transfers in less than 2 seconds.....My laptop didn't have the right port, couldn't find a cheapo pin convertor, with the right gender either. You need a nine pin male adapter on one end and a USB on the other, That's what I needed anyway. Garmin sells it online for about $60 plus shipping, I found it online at Radioshack, then called my local to see if they had it in stock....Went right over and grabbed it! Hope this helps.

one that goes straight from the unit to the usb on a pc. thanks

Check out the following link:

http://www.pfranc.com/cables/index.shtml

In the upper left box is everything you might need, from a pFranc e2PLUG connector with a bare cable, to one with a bluetooth transmitter and auto adapter for the eTrex H. There is also the USB solution you have asked for. None of the other cables linked in earlier posts here will work with an eTrex H.

That link ^^^ is genius, thanks very much :D