Coin held hostage?

lorriebird

I have been a lurker for a couple of years but now I can use some input from those that have 'been there' before me.

My 'Abe Lincoln' coin has been held by a cacher in Wisconsin for over a year now. When she first picked it up she stated that she had a plan to drop it on her upcoming vacation. Months went by and so I wrote her. She replied that she was still going on her trip...etc etc.

Over the past year we have exchanged e-mails about getting the coin moving. She always tells me her plan to drop it, send it, move it...you get the picture, but still it sits in her hands. Finally a month ago I wrote her and offered to send her postage if she would simply mail it home. She said "Of course I will, where do you want it sent?" Well, you know the rest of the story. It has now been another month since she promised to mail it.

Any advice out there? This experience has been worse than others that have simply 'gone walkabout' never to be seen again! :lol:

I have had several coins disappear, but this one was my first and I'm kind of attached to it...

Edited by lorriebird

So sorry to hear about your first ever coin not getting to travel. I too have had coins held, as many others will tell they too suffer the same experience. But do not worry over it, it is possible that one day it will get released again into a cache. I simply do not understand the mindset of people like this. I'm happy to say that Geocoins have the ability to bring out the very best in people, sadly it is also a fact that for some it brings out the worst. Hope your coin appears one day, if it doesn't think about making a decent proxy and send that out instead, some frown upon the practice - but hey it's your coin and tracking number.

Sorry i have no idea what you can do.

A cacher in washington has a coin from me, she promised to place , did not do that i send a other e-mail to her because i saw that she placed newer coins, and now she had placed the coin is a cache that i can not see.

i think that cache is a coin cache.

i am going to wait a while and then ask a other geocacher in washington off they now that geocacher and maybe they can ask what is happing with my autisme coin.

please tel my just the truth when you have lost my coin, it is my own risk, and i know the truth then.

Makes life a lot easier.

Great suggestion about the stamped mailer...I actually already offered that with my last e-mail this morning! She hasn't written back this time yet.

This has been the most bizarre experience! Her e-mails are always very polite and she always immediately agrees to let go of the coin, but then nothing! I think 13 months is long enough to be patient... She appears to be active and has even placed a cache recently. In one of her e-mails she even offered to put the coin in her own cache. That did not happen, either.

I realize that I cannot force her to do anything. I can only hope that she finally decides to the right thing...but can her geocaching account be flagged or anything similar? Is there any type of 'administrative' e-mail that can be sent to her?

Edited by lorriebird

Hi Lorrie... sorry to hear about your coin's abduction. If it's any consolation you're not the only coin owner she's holding hostage (I know, I know it's the coin she's got but as the owner it feels like you're being detained against your will). She also have a WI Robin coin she's kept for nearly 6 months. Must be the geographical locations or something. Next on her abduction horizon is a Minnesota coin and perhaps a Michigan U.P. coin after that.

Seriously you've done all you can and the person is clearly a bit flakey. She owns a few coins herself but hasn't released but one of them so she doesn't comprehend the attachment people can have to their travellers. Offer her your firstborn child if she'd release the coin. :lol:

Further research shows that she's not an active cacher and has only been out caching 3-4 times since the thaw so it's not a priority. Be patient and hope she steps up to the plate soon enough.

Edited by Droo

Yes, bad experience. I've got the same by a cacher holding my BalloonRace coin for about a year now.

She also said she dropped it but lost her administration...... :lol: After she grabbed the coin she stopped caching! I also asked her about sickness or accident, but nothing happened. Maybe worse...but no, her profile says "Last Visit: Tuesday, May 20, 2008". I hope some day it will show up again.

But your story is very strange too. Spending a stamp to sent the coin back? No way....I think she'll forget that too. So try to forget the coin or start a SPAM campaign :laughing:

Well an update from the person who is holding my coin hostage for over a year now...

I just got another e-mail from her again promising to send my coin home if I send her a self-addressed stamped envelope. (Which I did today...)

Who knows if I will ever really see it again...but hope springs eternal!

Wish me luck!

WE ARE NEW TO CACHING AND WOULD LIKE TO KEEP SOME COINS AND THINGS WEVE FOUND,,,WHEN IS IT OK TO KEEP A COIN YOU FIND?? CAN SOMEONE SHOOT ME AN EMAIL AND LET US KNOW, WE WOULD LIKE TO START A COLLECTION OF ONES WE FOUND, BUT DONT WANT TO DISRUPT TRAVELERS,, IS THERE A WAY TO GET A COPY OF ONES WE FOUND FROM THE OWNER OR SOMETHING,, LOOKING AROUND I SEE MANY HAVE LOTS OF COINS LISTED IN THERE INVITORYS HOW DO THEY GET THEM,, AS COINS ARE FEW AND FAR INBETWEEN??

PLZ MAIL ME AT GR8SHADOWS@COMCAST.NET TO LET ME KNOW OR GIVE US TIPS ON COINS AND HOW WE CAN KEEP THEM!! THX DJ.J.ROCK

WE ARE NEW TO CACHING AND WOULD LIKE TO KEEP SOME COINS AND THINGS WEVE FOUND,,,WHEN IS IT OK TO KEEP A COIN YOU FIND?? CAN SOMEONE SHOOT ME AN EMAIL AND LET US KNOW, WE WOULD LIKE TO START A COLLECTION OF ONES WE FOUND, BUT DONT WANT TO DISRUPT TRAVELERS,, IS THERE A WAY TO GET A COPY OF ONES WE FOUND FROM THE OWNER OR SOMETHING,, LOOKING AROUND I SEE MANY HAVE LOTS OF COINS LISTED IN THERE INVITORYS HOW DO THEY GET THEM,, AS COINS ARE FEW AND FAR INBETWEEN??

PLZ MAIL ME AT GR8SHADOWS@COMCAST.NET TO LET ME KNOW OR GIVE US TIPS ON COINS AND HOW WE CAN KEEP THEM!! THX DJ.J.ROCK

Coins that are traveling are not to be kept. Most have specific goals and places that they are heading. Now, if you find an unactivated coin in a cache it is yours to do with as you wish. Please don't keep activated coins as they are the property of the coin owner and you are but the caretaker of the coin while it is in your possesion (sp?). If you find a coin you like and would like one it is best to take a photo of the coin and post the image here and inquire about the maker of the coin and how to purchase or trade for one.

Anyone else want to add on to this please do so as I know there is always more to be said on this matter.

thanks,

maldar

WOW! I can't believe it! I really can't believe it! :D

Today my little Abe Lincoln coin was sitting in my mailbox when I got home today! After over a year of exchanging e-mails with the person who was holding it, she really finally returned it to me today in the self-addressed stamped envelope I sent her.

I think it must have been because of all the good karma folks on this website were sending out after I posted about my coin. So thanks to all who sent their best wishes. It really worked! <_<

I am a true believer in the 'round world' theory, and today this instance worked out in my favor. And regardless of the reason that my coin was held for so long, I am still grateful to her that she did the right thing and finally sent it back home to me. Thanks, and you know who you are...

Best of luck to others that may find themselves in this situation!