Deep South Caching

slate6715

We started Geocaching a few years ago in Colorado and, other than being the home to some of the most difficult caches in the U.S., is really a quite easy state to cache in. Trailblazing is normally through open forests without much underbrush with the occasional cache requiring some bouldering. Not many bugs, rare poisonous plants, never seen a snake, etc. We recently took a trip across the southern U.S. to Georgia and geocached in every state along the way. I learned a few things about deep south caching--spider webs are everywhere and most have massive spiders in the middle. A good "spidey stick" is required to trailblaze through those woods. Second, poison ivy/oak/sumac is a real threat. Third--chiggers are EVIL! After a week of geocaching in Georgia, I had a cool poison ivy scar on my side that looks like a number 5, and nasty itchy chigger bites that stayed around for a few weeks. Luckily no spiders took a chunk out of me or gave me superpowers, though I had to swack a few off me that were charging for my jugular.

Now we're moving to Montgomery, Alabama in a few weeks so I'm going to have to learn some geocaching best-practices for not becoming a big ball of itch after each outing. For those in the deep south, what protections do you employ when doing some geocaching in the woods? Got any good advice for caching in the Southeastern U.S.?

We started Geocaching a few years ago in Colorado and, other than being the home to some of the most difficult caches in the U.S., is really a quite easy state to cache in. Trailblazing is normally through open forests without much underbrush with the occasional cache requiring some bouldering. Not many bugs, rare poisonous plants, never seen a snake, etc. We recently took a trip across the southern U.S. to Georgia and geocached in every state along the way. I learned a few things about deep south caching--spider webs are everywhere and most have massive spiders in the middle. A good "spidey stick" is required to trailblaze through those woods. Second, poison ivy/oak/sumac is a real threat. Third--chiggers are EVIL! After a week of geocaching in Georgia, I had a cool poison ivy scar on my side that looks like a number 5, and nasty itchy chigger bites that stayed around for a few weeks. Luckily no spiders took a chunk out of me or gave me superpowers, though I had to swack a few off me that were charging for my jugular.

Now we're moving to Montgomery, Alabama in a few weeks so I'm going to have to learn some geocaching best-practices for not becoming a big ball of itch after each outing. For those in the deep south, what protections do you employ when doing some geocaching in the woods? Got any good advice for caching in the Southeastern U.S.?

Urban caches in the Summer, Hit the trails in fall Winter and early spring. :lol:

1. Wear pants

2. Use bug spray, and lots of it (the stronger, then better... and re-apply often!)

3. Carry a stick (for spiderwebs, to shew snakes off the path, for poking into holes, etc)

4. Learn to identify poisonous plants so you can avoid them

5. Carry rubbing alcohol or hand sanitizer with you to wash off areas of skin you think might have come into contact with poisonous plants

Have fun and welcome to the south!

I do not consider myself an expert for all terrains in the deep south though we do have some definate things to look out for in North Carolina. I can tell you a couple of things:

#1 Rule - Poke it with a stick first! We have seven venomous snakes to look for in our high, middle and low grounds. Would imagine Alabama having a fair share of them as well.

#2 - You can add ticks to your pest problems along with chiggers. Tick check every cache run is a good practice. As far as chiggers go I find if you are in shorts use hand sanitizer on your legs after every cache run helps. Many times just washing them off of you reduces your chances for a bite. Back Woods Off or anything with Deet is a must.

#3 - Yup there are some massive spiders out there. Many times I end up using my walking pole more like a light saber when in the woods or swampy area. Keep an eye out for Black Widows they are out there so watch where you stick your fingers.

#4 - Good pair of snake boots would be nice - See #1.

Well them is the basics. Have fun caching, just be careful out there....

-HHH :lol:

This is just lovely information......

And we're heading to NC on Friday.

Meh! Don't let 'em scare you off - although it's all good info it's not as bad as it sounds. :lol: I've run into snakes, spiders, ticks, chiggers, poison ivy, poison oak and I'm still here to tell the tale. :laughing: Just be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine.

It sounds like you visited us during the "off season". Many of us try to stay out of the Mississippi woods this time of year. However, with the weather finally getting cooler (the high temps for the last few days have finally dropped to the upper 80's!), caching season is about to get started in a few more weeks. :lol:

This is just lovely information......

And we're heading to NC on Friday.

Meh! Don't let 'em scare you off - although it's all good info it's not as bad as it sounds. :D I've run into snakes, spiders, ticks, chiggers, poison ivy, poison oak and I'm still here to tell the tale. :) Just be aware of your surroundings and you'll be fine.

Scare me off?? Not likely. I don't have that much sense.

I grew up in Kansas, and had lotsa family in Arkansas, so ticks, chiggers, snakes, etc are not new to me. But I sure don't miss 'em!!

Up here, in the Northwet, all we really have to worry about are earthquakes, volcanoes, and Sasquatch.