Caching With A Friend Who Is New To Caching

ethanbl

My friend and I both love to hike, so when I found out about geocaching, I joined right up. My friend, however, didn't for my first 40 or so caches, he just tagged along for the hike, helping me look for each cache, and sharing my GPSr, however, he did not sign the log inside the cache, because he never had an account. My friend just created an account, and I was wondering if it was right for him to log the caches I found with him, when he didn't have an account. I'm on the fence with this one, because he did all the hiking, and helped me look, and even found some before I did, but never signed the logs in the caches, what do you think? Should he log the caches or not?

My friend and I both love to hike, so when I found out about geocaching, I joined right up. My friend, however, didn't for my first 40 or so caches, he just tagged along for the hike, helping me look for each cache, and sharing my GPSr, however, he did not sign the log inside the cache, because he never had an account. My friend just created an account, and I was wondering if it was right for him to log the caches I found with him, when he didn't have an account. I'm on the fence with this one, because he did all the hiking, and helped me look, and even found some before I did, but never signed the logs in the caches, what do you think? Should he log the caches or not?

It's really up to him. A cacher is supposed to sign the log book on order to claim the find. I'm sure some sticklers are going to have an issue with it if he logs them, but I think most won't. You may want to recommend that he write something like "I found this cache with ethanbl at that time I didn't have a GC account" and then whatever he wants to say about the find.

In my opinion it would be perfectly reasonable to log those caches where he was present when the cache was found. It doesn't matter if he actually found it or not as long as he was present. Perhaps add a note to each of the logs "Found with ethanb. Back logging under my own account" or something along those lines. Try and use the actual find dates for those log entries.

I think Melcrim, Sdarken and STClairC hit the nail on the head by suggesting that your friend include in the log that he found them when he was with you during an earlier trip. Part of the game is determining your own degree of honesty in how you want to play. I believe the two of you found these caches together as a team and there is no reason why he should not be able to log them in now. As was said, some real sticklers might poo poo the logs since they weren't signed at the time, but from my perspective, I wouldn't have a problem with it. I'm just happy to hear that he's coming along and joining the fun.

Edited by nashuan

Absolutely OK. Nobody ever said the caches have to be logged the same day, the same week, or even the same year as they were found.

In fact, I know of one local cacher that did just that. He went along with his roommate for a long time before finally deciding to join up. He backlogged all of his earlier finds.

Just have him open a new account and log all of them. In the logs, just state that he was once part of "Team ethanbl" and is now re-logging under his new, solo username. I don't think any owners would have a problem with that.

This is the way to go. If an owner has a problem with it, worst case is he deletes the log. I doubt however that it will happen as long as he mentions what he is doing in the log and also uses the correct find date.