LAT/LNG Feature Name?

lanmind

Hello everybody,

I love this geocaching, it's such an interesting hobby : ) I do some myself for a website I'm building mostly using paper maps, online at Google Maps and various reverse geocoding sites. I need a GPS device that gives me specifically LAT/LNG coordinates.

That is my question. Is there a feature name for that? When a GPS can display LAT/LNG.

I'll likely buy a used GPS and this is really the only feature I'm interested in so it'll help me look. I have some other questions too:

Is there a device out there that only gives LAT/LNG on a display but foregoing the map? I don't need a map.

I'd obviously like a accurate GPS so in that is my other question. What should I look for in accuracy? I think I remember reading that some GPS's use a 3 point system and some use 12? I'm not sure on all this.

Thanks everybody!

That is what GPS devices do. Provide lat/long coordinates off of the orbiting satellites.

how does gps work?

Check out this article from Scientific American - Scientific American

Hello everybody,

I love this geocaching, it's such an interesting hobby : ) I do some myself for a website I'm building mostly using paper maps, online at Google Maps and various reverse geocoding sites. I need a GPS device that gives me specifically LAT/LNG coordinates.

That is my question. Is there a feature name for that? When a GPS can display LAT/LNG.

I'll likely buy a used GPS and this is really the only feature I'm interested in so it'll help me look. I have some other questions too:

Is there a device out there that only gives LAT/LNG on a display but foregoing the map? I don't need a map.

I'd obviously like a accurate GPS so in that is my other question. What should I look for in accuracy? I think I remember reading that some GPS's use a 3 point system and some use 12? I'm not sure on all this.

Thanks everybody!

Ok then is it safe to assume all GPS devices display current LAT/LNG data?

I'm pretty sure you'd be OK with handhelds but I believe some automotive units do not display Lat/Lon.

From my somewhat limited exerience, most GPSr's display lat/long readings. Usually on the satellite page. If you want to go to a certain lat/long cord, you should be able to input it as a waypoint.

Yes, they are called "Basic (non-mapping) handhelds" units such as the eTrex H might be what you're looking for. Here's a list of current Garmin models: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=144

Thanks Coggins,

It's great to know there are some without so many bells and whistles. So anyways I found an eTrex on Ebay but all the images shown don't have LAT/LNG on display.

If anybody here owns an eTrex could you please confirm to me that the device can display LAY/LNG on screen? Here is the URL for the one I found: eTrex on Ebay.

Another question, what is a GPS that isn't paperless?

It's easier to explain what it is than to explain what it is not. A GPS that supports paperless caching is one which allows you to download all the information about the cache -- name, coordinates, full description, hints, and at least some of the more recent logs -- directly to the GPS. This includes all the relevant text, but it usually takes some extra effort to download images which are part of the cache description. Overall, though, this allows you to cache without having to print the cache description. In addition, some paperless units also allow you to log your find and enter field notes for later upload to the geocaching.com web site.

Thanks Coggins,

It's great to know there are some without so many bells and whistles. So anyways I found an eTrex on Ebay but all the images shown don't have LAT/LNG on display.

If anybody here owns an eTrex could you please confirm to me that the device can display LAY/LNG on screen? Here is the URL for the one I found: eTrex on Ebay.

That unit is the old, standard eTrex. While it is capable of the basics you desire, the receiver is prone to losing satellite reception under difficult conditions (heavy tree canopy, e.g.). The newer eTrex H has the high sensitivity receiver. Also, the basic eTrex modes (eTrex and eTrex H) do not have a USB connection, only a serial connection. This may or may not be of concern to you, but entering coordinates by hand will introduce errors and frustration and if you don't have a serial port on your PC you would need to by a serial to USB converter.

Thanks Coggins,

That unit is the old, standard eTrex. While it is capable of the basics you desire, the receiver is prone to losing satellite reception under difficult conditions (heavy tree canopy, e.g.). The newer eTrex H has the high sensitivity receiver. Also, the basic eTrex modes (eTrex and eTrex H) do not have a USB connection, only a serial connection. This may or may not be of concern to you, but entering coordinates by hand will introduce errors and frustration and if you don't have a serial port on your PC you would need to by a serial to USB converter.

Be carefull with the non-H units. The first version didn't have WAAS (you can tell this unit by it's software version of 2.14 or lower) and the replacement version with WAAS (it has software version 3.00 or higher). That ebay page doesn't say witch one it is... The H model is the current version.

I use one with my PC and google earth to provide realtime mapping, routing and tracking that can be done as the unit has an RS-232 serial port and will output NMEA data, something the USB only units seem to be lacking. There's nothing like a 14" display for your maps.

However, if your PC does not have a serial port, you may have problems. For example (last time I tried it), the Garmin Communicator did not work when connected to a serial-only unit through a USB-to-serial converter. This prevents you from using one of the easiest ways to download the coordinates for a single cache. Granted, I tried it with an even older III+, but the nature of the problem (and Garmin's response) led me to believe that the configuration was simply not supported.

However, if your PC does not have a serial port, you may have problems. For example (last time I tried it), the Garmin Communicator did not work when connected to a serial-only unit through a USB-to-serial converter. This prevents you from using one of the easiest ways to download the coordinates for a single cache. Granted, I tried it with an even older III+, but the nature of the problem (and Garmin's response) led me to believe that the configuration was simply not supported.

Works fine with my IOGEAR serial to USB adapter under XPpro:

1b946af7-5805-407d-a98a-4a3025e632b7.jpg

And gives me a choice when more than one unit is plugged in:

48b0ac88-eb08-4a99-8fda-acebdd1e250e.jpg

Edited by coggins

1b946af7-5805-407d-a98a-4a3025e632b7.jpg

And gives me a choice when more than one unit is plugged in:

48b0ac88-eb08-4a99-8fda-acebdd1e250e.jpg

Thanks for all the great info everyone I'll post again after searching more : )

Could certainly be the drivers for my Belkin adapter. It's also possible that Garmin fixed it. I haven't tried it in 6 or 8 months. It's nice to know there's at least one piece of hardware with which it works.

Might be. The IOGEAR GUC232 works as well as the Keyspan stuff. The Keyspan comes in two pieces (a USB cable and an adapter).