Ploting my movements - same as if I were a TB

dragondrop

I believe that with a bit of fiddling - perhaps though google maps API I could plot where I have been the same way as one can see where a TB has been. I think this would be a cool new feature to have on your account home page - Same as a TB map like "View Map>>" but instead "View where I've been. You could overlay all found geocaches and toggle a route overlay (in order of find).

I guess it's possible - perhaps a bit gimicky but I'd like it. Is there anything out there that can do this without too much hassle already?

I guess it's possible - perhaps a bit gimicky but I'd like it. Is there anything out there that can do this without too much hassle already?

How could the site tell what order you visited the caches? The time is only recorded to an precision of one day. As a result, it is not possible with only the data stored on the site to provide what you ask.

Wouldn't it be great if there were an option to set the time of day in your logs?

I believe that with a bit of fiddling - perhaps though google maps API I could plot where I have been the same way as one can see where a TB has been. I think this would be a cool new feature to have on your account home page - Same as a TB map like "View Map>>" but instead "View where I've been. You could overlay all found geocaches and toggle a route overlay (in order of find).

Get a personal TB that you keep hold of and drop it in and out of each cache you find. Even can be dropped into those that you DNF.

Maybe a bit of work but GPSBabel can convert a set of waypoints (such as your My Finds Pocket Query) to a route.

Just noticed you're not a premium member. You could still download all your finds 20 at a time with LOC files, then merge them with GPSBabel to a route.

Something like:

gpsbabel -i geocaching.loc -i geocaching-1.loc -i geocaching-2.loc <repeat for all your loc files...> -x transform,rte=wpt -o kml -F myfinds.kml

That would get you a Google Earth route (assuming I typed it right).

How could the site tell what order you visited the caches? The time is only recorded to an precision of one day. As a result, it is not possible with only the data stored on the site to provide what you ask.

Wouldn't it be great if there were an option to set the time of day in your logs?

Whenever I enter a days worth of caches, they always seem to be in the order in which they have been entered. If one of those is a milestone cache, I've found that I have to be careful to enter it in the right order (i.e. if I started with 195 caches and found 6 today, I have to enter the milestone cache (#200) as the fifth log - then it comes out right later). I believe the system timestamps each log entry so they are in order. I think the date you enter overrides the datestamp in the system, but not the timestamp. So, entering the finds for each day must be in order.

each log has a log id that is the order you logged. This is returned in a myfinds PQ or anytime you download a cache you have logged.

Actually I do set the time of day and date in my logs, it is an option with GSAK and cachemate import.

Jim

How could the site tell what order you visited the caches? The time is only recorded to an precision of one day.

Whenever I enter a days worth of caches, they always seem to be in the order in which they have been entered.

The system stores cache logs in the order in which they were entered. There is a log id that increments for each log entered.

However, nobody can be perfect. What if a log is deleted for some reason, and you replace it? What if you forget a cache you did and enter it the next day? In either case, the new log will show up as the LAST cache you did for the day in question.

What I find a little frustrating is that the log date is saved internally in the database as a date/time value, with the time set to midnight. Adding a time to logs wouldn't take up any more space an the server or change any existing query! It seems like a no-brainer to me.

Cool - I think the idea of getting a TB and logging it for each cache I've been to would work.. Interesting the point made about PM PQ download LOC's as well (sounds a bit fiddly for non technical heads)

I think it would be a great incentive to becoming a PM if there were such a feature that I could only get as a PM.. Sure I could 'bodge' it but I'd pref an automated one click solution..

relates a little to this thread I've been playing devils advocate on: http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=203078

I think if PM offered "track your own adventures and see where you've been and how far you've traveled between caches click here>>" I'd sign up! (And I probably speak the mind of a fair few of the 'new breed' (ie joined up in the latest rush, so it seems) of geocachers - there seems to of been a boom recently of interest and players. Borderline mainstream.. things like this may tip the revenue streams well in favour of GroudSpeak coffers!

Get EasyGPS.

Download your caches using the My Finds PQ.

Import thoseinto EasyGPS.

Manually edit that file using WordPad to put them in the order you found them.

Start out each day using your houses coordinates.

Then import that GPX file into nearly any mapping program.

This is a lot of work. But you will have an as the crow flys indication of your travels too.

Thanks for that - I'm thinking it could be automated back end. (I'd prefer the one click solution (it's be a killer app, value add, yada yada))

I understand your enthusiasm; I've been doing it myself ever since I started caching. I have a local DB that has all the caches I have found (with their actual final coordinates) in the order I found them. I agree it is a really wonderful way to show your caching history. I am quite proud of my mileage total taken cache-to-cache (365,000 miles so far).

But, unfortunately, no matter how "killer" the app is, it can't be done by GC with their existing data. They have no way to tell in which order you found the caches. And that can make a BIG difference; the furthest I have traveled between caches found on the same day is almost 2500 miles. And I have done that several times.

The problem is not the app, it's the data. And if the data doesn't exist, the app is impossible.