looking to buy a gps

mr_roo

Hi

Anyone help a newbie to geocaching, im looking for hopefully a cheap gps, and not sure what is good for geocaching or not. Im looking to spend about $170 australian. Anyone help me out with details of what gps to buy? Doesnt need to have a colour screen stuff like that, just be able to find caches using the grid references

cheers

mr_roo

I'm just barely getting my feet wet here myself, but as I've just been through a search for a good GPSr, I'll pass along my limiyed personal experience, the advice I got here on the forum, and from my sister who lives in a far more wooded area than I do.

A model from the Garmin eTrex line is a safe bet. They're reliable and proven for geocaching, easy to use, reasonably priced, and rugged.

And the newer models are incredibly small - about the size of a pack of cigarettes. I was surprised when I saw my sister's eTrex Legend, and even more surprised when mine arrived:

vhc.jpg

Their models use designators in the model name to indicate features. "H" means high-sensitivity", "C" means a color screen. "x" means it's able to use a micro-SD memory card for storing additional maps, waypoints, routes, tracks, etc.

Look for an "H" model (eTrex H, Venture HC, Vista HCx, etc.). This designates a high-sensitivity receiver. It adds to the cost somewhat, but from what I've read here, it's well worth it. This could be important if you're under heavy tree cover, in a valley or canyon, heavy cloud cover, or otherwise have a limited view of the open sky. They even will acquire satellites indoors with no problem.

If you want just a basic GPSr to use in compass mode (bearing pointer and distance to target), you won't need mapping capabilities.

comp-1.jpg

Mapping, simply put, is a background, scrolling map of streets, terrain, points of interest, etc. that you can zoom in or out. It shows your exact location and what's around you.

map.jpg

However, consider later on down the road (no pun intended) when you may want to use your GPSr for a car trip, or in town. Mapping doesn't add that much to the price, and most mapping handhelds allow you to download additional maps later from your PC. And it's convenient to be able to plan your geocaching route from your handheld.

I also recommend waypoint averaging built-in. It's important that when you hide a cache for others to find, that the location be as accurate as possible. Waypoint averaging takes repeated measurements and averages the data, reducing the error. Many of the Garmin units have this feature:

way_avg.jpg

And I highly recommend you get a case for it. They come with a neckstrap, and it may be convenient to have it around your neck, but once out in the bush hunting down caches, you won't want it there getting in the way and banging around. I recommend a good belt-mounted case or holster. The holster is convenient, but doesn't protect it when it's in your hand. The case protects the unit at all times from dings, scratched screen, etc. You use the buttons through the case. You have to be careful on the alignment of the little joystick on the front, and it takes a little getting used to for button feel through the case. But it'll protect your unit.

Here's my case. I think I paid $6 for it new on E-bay. It has a "D-clip" for the belt, and a standard velcro belt loop. Well worth it, IMO:

case-1.jpg

I have a Venture HC and yesterday I went on a trek for a series of caches hidden in the Rio Grande Bosque, a heavily-wooded area along the river. It was about a 2-mile hike. The GPS unit didn't skip a beat with the dense tree cover. I went 6-for-6, by the way :):unsure:

With $170AUS to spend, you should be able to pick and choose from among several models. Here's a list of some of the most popular Garmin eTrex models:

Non-mapping:

eTrex H - basic, high-sensitivity model. Inexpensive. About $75 (refurb) or $90 USD new on E-bay.

eTrex - Very basic older model with few features and standard sensitivity. Very inexpensive. About $60 USD (used) on E-bay.

Mapping:

eTrex Legend - Older model, B%W screen, standard sensitivity. Very inexpensive. About $60 used on E-bay.

eTrex Legend HCX - Newer model, high sensitivity, color, and memory-card capable. Relatively expensive. About $185 USD new on E-bay.

eTrex Summit HC - Newer model, high sensitivity, color, electronic (separate, non-GPS) compass and altimeter. Moderately expensive. About $175 new on E-bay.

eTrex Venture HC - Newer model, high sensitivity, color. Relatively inexpensive. About $125 new on E-bay.

eTrex Vista - Older model, standard sensitivity, B&W screen, electronic (separate, non-GPS) compass and altimeter. Inexpensive. About $80 used on E-bay.

eTrex Vista HCx - Newer model, high-sensitivity, color screen, electronic (separate, non-GPS) compass and altimeter and memory-card capable. Relatively expensive. About $200. new on E-bay.

I'm sure others will chime in on deals they know about, and also that I've left something out or gotten something wrong in this post. But the point is, you can get started with a decent GPSr for about a hundred bucks, and a really nice one forwhat you're budgeted for.

I suggest you look at the models on the Garmin site and poke around E-bay for a good price. Amazon is also a good place to look.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=145

Cheers thanks

Thinking of buying the etrex H model. Thanks for your advice, guess i just have to load in the lat/long as waypoints and id be off searching for many more caches

I've heard good things about the "H" being a good basic unit to start with. And they're inexpensive.

Good luck, and welcome to the sport! :)

Cheers thanks

Thinking of buying the etrex H model. Thanks for your advice, guess i just have to load in the lat/long as waypoints and id be off searching for many more caches

One thing with the H. It has a serial connection, so unless you have an older PC with a serial connection you will have to buy a serial to USB adapter. That is around $30. It also doesn't come with a PC cable, which will run you another $30 or so.

The Venture HC has a USB connection and the cable it uses is the standard one used by many digital cameras, cell phones and numerous other digital products, so there is a good chance you already have the cable.

Once you figure in the cost of the cables, the Venture HC is actually cheaper then the eTrex H.

I have a Garmin Extrex Legend (blue) that has served me faithfully with no issues for years. I recently acquired an old Garmin 12 that I started to use and it works fine. All you really need is something that'll get you to the cache. I imput all the names and coords by hand.

The other features (mapping and such) are nice, but add to the cost.

I favor Lowrance first with Garmin a close second. Garmin is the most common for handheld Global Positioning System Receivers (GPSrs) and their software is the most compatible with geocaching.com features (this is a big plus for many cachers). I like the Lowrance GPSrs better myself. They are of equal or better quality and are more economical. We spent $360 ($400 retail) for our first GPSr that included a car adaptor and mapping. A comparable Garmin bundle would cost around $500.

I know the Lowrance line better than the Garmin line. A base Garmin (ETrex) costs about $100 but it is very basic without mapping or memory. A top line Garmin (GPSMap60CSX) would cost, with mapping $600. The various extras in between include internal memory, external memory cards, high detail mapping, automatic routing (like in a car), electronic compass & altimeter, color screen, 16 channel satellite receiver (versus 12 channel), and route planning.

Some Lowrance GPSrs to consider-

iFinder Go2-16 channel-small black&white display-built-in map-64MB internal memory-$100

iFinder Explorer-12 channel-large black&white display-custom mapping-memory card-electronic compass and altimeter-$210 + $100 = $310

iFinder H2O-12 channel-large black&white display-custom mapping-memory card-$170 + $100 = $270

iFinder H2O c-16 channel-large color display-custom mapping-memory card-$270 + $100 = $370

iFinder Expedition c-16 channel-large color display-custom mapping-memory card-electronic compass and altimeter-microphone (not very good)-mp3 player(not very good)-$300 + $100 = $400

The features I find important are 16 channel (most receptive to satellite signals), color display (you can see it easier), custom mapping software, and memory cards (I use 2GB SD cards). The electric compass and altimeter are nice but do not really add anything. Don't worry about the microphone (really poor) or the mp3 player (really basic).

I would recommend the H2O c if you think you will really get into it. Otherwise, the red Go2 (not the yellow Go) would be a good first GPSr.