Need input on phone choices

trujoker

I am going to be upgrading my phone soon. I am using the AT&T 8525 but am looking to find a phone that has GPS in it as I am getting more into geocaching. I have seen some post on the treo phones but I don't know that much about them and wanted to see what kind of phones everyone else uses. Any input on this would be very helpful. Thanks in advance. I should of put that I am using a Garmin Venture CX sorry about that.

Edited by trujoker

I am going to be upgrading my phone soon. I am using the AT&T 8525 but am looking to find a phone that has GPS in it as I am getting more into geocaching. I have seen some post on the treo phones but I don't know that much about them and wanted to see what kind of phones everyone else uses. Any input on this would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.[/font]

In my honest opinion, you should buy a proper handheld GPS and leave the phone in your backpack protected in a ziploc bag or a lock n lock box.

I have the iphone and it's fantastic for gps, but when I nearly dunked my phone while caching, I thought about it and opted to buy a garmin gps unit. For one, it's cheaper to replace a GPS unit than a contracted subsidized phone.

It's waterproof and can take a beating, so most likely you won't have to replace it.

Geocaching in the woods is near impossible with a phone, all of them have weak GPS' that are great for city/suburbs, but once you get cover, it's bad. like 40 meter accuracy bad.\, as opposed to the garmin in cover gets 6m accuracy.

just food for thought.

Geocaching in the woods is near impossible with a phone, all of them have weak GPS' that are great for city/suburbs, but once you get cover, it's bad. like 40 meter accuracy bad.\, as opposed to the garmin in cover gets 6m accuracy.

just food for thought.

Boy that is a sweeping generalization.

From personal experience I can tell you that they are not all bad. In fact I have a couple that are better at aquiring a signal in urban canyons than my Garmin eTrex Legend C (non-high sensitivity receiver). I have been more than pleasantly surprised with the performance of my Nokia N95 using geocache navigator.

I do agree that a GPS equipped phone makes a bad choice for caching in all but the nicest weather - but there are some good units available for those commited to carrying one device.

I am going to be upgrading my phone soon. I am using the AT&T 8525 but am looking to find a phone that has GPS in it as I am getting more into geocaching. I have seen some post on the treo phones but I don't know that much about them and wanted to see what kind of phones everyone else uses. Any input on this would be very helpful. Thanks in advance. I should of put that I am using a Garmin Venture CX sorry about that.

I use a Nokia N95 8GB with the absolutly free software from Trimble.

It works perfect and a friend of mine was amazed how proper the N95 works.

When I'm on tour (go geocaching) than I use the option to find the caches close by my location. If I found a cache I can lock it online too.

If you have any question, do not hesitate to contact me.

Happy geocaching!