How do I find archived caches?

PazaUK

I'm sure I must be missing something obvious here but for the life of me I can't find the answer....

I use GSAK and periodically update my database with my 500 nearest unfound caches. I noticed that a cache that I knew had been Archived wasn't getting updated. Further investigations showed that this was because my PQ results did not contain Archived caches.

Those that have been changed to Unavailable are included but if I missed that change of Status before it went to Archived then my database won't get updated - so there's a chance that I will have an archived cache showing as a live one in my db.

Is there a way to include Archived caches in a PQ?

Another quick way in GSAK is to sort on the "Last GPX" column. Dates older than your last GPX file are excellent candidates to see if they are archived. Just right-click on the cache record in GSAK and use the first link to go directly to the cache page at GC.COM.

Of course, you will also have caches that are now outside the 500 radius because new caches closer to home have pushed them out of the database.

Those that have been changed to Unavailable are included but if I missed that change of Status before it went to Archived then my database won't get updated - so there's a chance that I will have an archived cache showing as a live one in my db.

I can kind of see the point of not including archived caches, but your statement reflects something I've proposed in the past.

Any cache that is going to be archived should first be disabled for 7-10 days so it will flag out of peoples lists and so its obvious that its not available instead of just disappearing by being archived directly

Some members keep a running tally on archived caches, as I do. I use the numbers to calculate the total number of placed caches in an area. It is very possible that another member in your area has a list or database in his/her GSAK. Unfortunately for you, this is a hunt and peck type method of searching, and very few take the time or energy.