I could use a little help, please!

cajundolphin

Okay, I just started geocaching yesterday and am not doing very well so far. I bought a gps to use only for this. I do not know alot about doing this or about gps' so start with I went and bought a Magellan 300 handheld. It was only $150 but I felt that would be enough to start with. I chose 3 caches within 12 miles of my house to start with. I put in the gps point and headed out with my 3 kids. One gave very good directions on the ad so I found the place and landmarks easily but no cache. While I was in the spot exactly I noticed that the coordinates where off. Instead of N 30 50.497 W 093 00.899 my gps read 30 89.267 W 092.564 and I was standing in the exact spot this cache described to be with an exact grave as the landmark. So I got in my vehicle and starting driving and watching the gps trying to get to the coordinates specified but after driving miles and miles away from this original site my gps was only adjusting alittle between the numbers. I decided to try the other caches and had the same problem. Is it my gps or do I just NOT know what I am doing?

First off don't try to do this by matching coordinates, that can be difficult and frustrating. Use the navigation/compass screen. Input the coordinates and the navigation screen will point out the direction of the cache and count down the distance.

Second make sure the datum is set to WGS84 (actually this should be first).

First off don't try to do this by matching coordinates, that can be difficult and frustrating. Use the navigation/compass screen. Input the coordinates and the navigation screen will point out the direction of the cache and count down the distance.

Second make sure the datum is set to WGS84 (actually this should be first).

OK I do have the datum set to WGS84 but I am not sure how to work the navigation/compass screen. I will need to read up on this. Thanks for your help.

There is always drift on coordinates....every GPS is different and atmospheric conditions can effect how accurate the unit is. The coordinates are to get you close...you have to do some searching...

Use the the above suggestions...also read the how toos on the GCing website...they are very helpful...

Good luck

Instead of N 30 50.497 W 093 00.899 my gps read 30 89.267 W 092.564

You're also looking at 2 different Lat/long coordinate formats. Your GPS readout of 30 89.267 is a degree only readout (example: Nxx.xxxxxx Wxxx.xxxxxx) whereas the coordinates on "big Green" are degree-minute format (example N xx-xx.xxx Wxxx-xx.xxx). The "89" in your north coordinate is clue. If it's in degree-minute readout mode it would be impossible to have minute readout greater than 60 (well, 59 if you want to get technical).

See if you can change your lat/long display to degree-minute display.

50.497 divided by 60(minutes) = 0.8461 equating to N30.8461 which why I suspect you're comparing apples to oranges.

-galaP-

Edited by Galap

Instead of N 30 50.497 W 093 00.899 my gps read 30 89.267 W 092.564

You're also looking at 2 different Lat/long coordinate formats. Your GPS readout of 30 89.267 is a degree only readout (example: Nxx.xxxxxx Wxxx.xxxxxx) whereas the coordinates on "big Green" are degree-minute format (example N xx-xx.xxx Wxxx-xx.xxx). The "89" in your north coordinate is clue. If it's in degree-minute readout mode it would be impossible to have minute readout greater than 60 (well, 59 if you want to get technical).

See if you can change your lat/long display to degree-minute display.

50.497 divided by 60(minutes) = 0.8461 equating to N30.8461 which why I suspect you're comparing apples to oranges.

-galaP-

That may be one of my problems. The website shows the coordinates I need in xx xx.xxx form and my gps shows to enter as xx.xxxxx and so I just entered the numbers in not worrying about where the decimals where. It will not let me change to degree-minute readout though so what do I do?

That may be one of my problems. The website shows the coordinates I need in xx xx.xxx form and my gps shows to enter as xx.xxxxx and so I just entered the numbers in not worrying about where the decimals where. It will not let me change to degree-minute readout though so what do I do?

Next to the coordinates for a cache on its individual cache page, There is "[other conversions]" next to the coordinates. Click on this link and you will be able to convert the coordinates to the same format as your GPSr.

I have a Magellan 300 as well... hit MENU button, select view, select settings, select navigation, go to coordinate system, select lat/long, will go to accuracy screen, select deg/min.mmm

That, plus the WGS84 Datum should get you on track. The Magellan isn't as user friendly as the Garmins, but it's still my primary GPS even with a Garmin...

Edited by Waazdag

I have a Magellan 300 as well... hit MENU button, select view, select settings, select navigation, go to coordinate system, select lat/long, will go to accuracy screen, select deg/min.mmm

That, plus the WGS84 Datum should get you on track. The Magellan isn't as user friendly as the Garmins, but it's still my primary GPS even with a Garmin...

Oh THANK YOU soooo much!!! If you have one then you too know that they don't come with an instruction book, only with a little large pic pamplet. Can you tell me how you use yours exactly to find the caches? Which screens and the process of getting there? Thank u again so much!!!