BBC Radio Stoke - Help & Advice

I have today received the following e-mail through our geocaching profile:-

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2008 11:42 AM

Subject: [GEO] DavidGrundy79 contacting The Birches Head Hunters from Geocaching.com

Hi there,

I'm a journalist at BBC Radio Stoke - and am trying to do a piece for the Pete Morgan Breakfast Show on Geocaching - and am hoping you'll be able to help me!

Would you be able to give me a call please on 01782 221 265 - or email me directly - david.grundy@bbc.co.uk

Cheers

David

User's Profile:

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=67...46-0619281bfac0

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have just repled to 'David' with a holding e-mail to say I'll reply fully tomorrow night. My first thought on reading the e-mail was to gather some opinions from the UK geocaching community. Could I have some thoughts on:-

1 - Should we do this? I'm always a bit dubious about open promotion of the 'sport', as this could attract the wrong sorts.

2 - What kind of things should we say in such an interview, and what things are definitely to be avoided (land-owner permission springs to mind).

3 - Any other (general) comments?

I intend to reply to him more fully in approx 24 hours (8pm Wednesday night), so I'll be back to check all your lovely comments when I get home tomorrow evening!

Many Thanks

Damien - of The Birches Head Hunters

I'm sure it's probably legit but what with me being a suspicious person, I'd be inclined to call the Radio Stoke switchboard (not necessarily the number he gave) and ask to speak to him by name... Just to make sure it's above board. As for what to do if it is all prim and proper, there are quite a few people on this board who have done radio segments, I'm sure they'll be along in just a mo :rolleyes:

Well, Radio Stoke webpage says

Prefer the 'phone?

Reception is the first port of call for any query, and may even be able to answer you immediately. Just dial 01782 208080. He may have given a direct line.

He's not listed as one of the presenters, MAY be a researcher -they should say so.

E-mail looks bbc e-mail. :rolleyes:

Tempted to say phone reception, and ask them...

"Our friendly and professional reception team will almost certainly be the first people you speak to when you telephone or visit BBC Radio Stoke. They'll do their best to ensure your contact with the station is pleasurable and handled effectively.

Perhaps you have a story or issue you'd like to talk over with one of our reporters or managers, or maybe you're hoping to find out a detail about a programme of member of staff, or have a query we can help you with...

Hilda - the two face of Reception - will start you off properly."

I do know that the local radio stations are getting interested in things like Geocaching. Only recently BBC CWR (Coventry and Warwickshire) did a feature.

I've done a bit of caching promotion...

I'd start by editing out his phone number and email address (which looks pretty genuine to me) as a way of avoiding him getting spam/weird phone calls.

To answer your questions:

1 - Should we do this? I'm always a bit dubious about open promotion of the 'sport', as this could attract the wrong sorts.

It could also attract the right sort. I've been very flattered to meet serious cachers who only got into the game when they saw or heard me somewhere.

2 - What kind of things should we say in such an interview, and what things are definitely to be avoided (land-owner permission springs to mind).

I'd start by spelling the game (too many people look for geocashing.com) and giving the web address. Everything you need is there, especially the post code search- that's the thing that hooks people's interest, when they discover there's one hidden just up the road at their favourite local 'hidden gem'. I'd also make the point that the boxes can't be buried- to assure people it's not all about digging things up. Then there's who are cachers- families who want to get the kids doing outdoor stuff, retired people looking for a challenge, geeks who also like fresh air... A good interviewer should be able to lead you to talk about what you get out of caching, where you've done it, what you find, the places, the 'treasure', etc.

3 - Any other (general) comments?

Is it going to be live (pressure!) or recorded (no pressure), is it over the phone or do they want to interview you as you're out caching (expenses paid?) and if so, do they want it faked to guarantee a find, or do it 'for real', with the danger of a DNF (see the other Radio thread around at the moment).

Other than that, if you go for it, enjoy it; that comes across on the radio. Enthusiasm is addictive :rolleyes:

We've been beaten to it!! :(

The man from Stoke Radio must have contacted a few of the local cache owners to see who would reply first. We've just had a geocaching e-mail regarding a note being posted on one of our caches:-

GC1927Z:-

"September 4 by cannonedwards (735 found)

This was the cache Radio Stoke were talking about when they interviewed us yesterday on the breakfast show, and then went to find.

Hopefully we gave a good account of geocaching.

Mark & Annie"

I don't think Mark and Annie use the forums, so they obviously missed the original posting, but I do think it's a bit rude of the radio to ignore the 2 e-mail replies I sent over the previous 2 evenings (not even a 'thanks but no thanks!' :lol: ).

I've found the radio show online. It was the 7am to 10am breakfast show on Wednesday 4th September.

I'm not sure how to provide a link directly to the radio show, but here's a link to the main radio page:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/aod/mainframe.s...aod/stoke.shtml

You'll then need to click 'Breakfast', and then 'Wednesday'.

Perhaps someone more technically-inclined will be able to post a direct (and more permanent) link?

It seems they've done the geocaching feature in snippets on the show. I've found the following so far:-

Snippet 1 - 00:21:45 - 00:22:10

Snippet 2 - 00:38:50 - 00:45:00

Snippet 3 - 01:08:30 - 01:10:20

However I'm getting a bit bored listening to the whole 3 hours, so haven't found any more yet! In snippet 3 the reporter says he found a 'Nano', but I'd call GC1927Z a large micro! ;)

Just found that bit, they gave a good account of themselves, listening to the programme made me remember why I do not normally listen to Radio Stoke :lol:

But well done cannonedwards :(

Hello All,

I got exactly the same email from the guy from Radio Stoke on the afternoon before he wanted to do the interview. Originally I said no way, especially with it being 'live'. I told him I would try to find someone to do it for him. Short notice or what?

No one was interested and like cachers on here I was a bit suspicious. About 4 oclock the day before I said I would do it if he still wanted, he confirmed what he would be doing and the sort of questions he would be asking. I managed to rope Annie in to coming along too and went for it.

We thought it went ok, Annie was abit taken aback with the geek question but overall hopefully we have put geocaching in a good light. It would be interesting to know how many people have a go at geocaching after they heard the interview (not that that is possible!)

It also would have been polite for BHH to receive a reply from Radio Stoke, even if just to tell them when it was aired. Thanks, but I found someone to do it sort of thing.

Thats is our fame over for the next decade and we plan to slip back in to the quiet life of caching outside the media spotlight.

Happy Caching

Mark & Annie

Cannonedwards

ps we are available for after dinner speaking though. hee hee... only joking ;)