Garmin 24K Topo in 60x,76x, and Rino x units

Siskiyou

Are the Garmin TOPO U.S. 24K a good value? Will owners of Garmin HCx eTrex series, the 60(X) series, 76(X) series, and the Rino HCx series get full benefit from this software?

The costly kicker regarding this software is those who live on the Oregon-California boundary will have to buy two data cards. Is the improvement so much better then U.S. Topo, and Topo 2008 make it worth the cost? I am kicking about the cost where one has to buy the States in increments and not as a complete package.

My bottomline question is how do these new data cards work in the above mention units? :huh:

I grew up using 7.5 minute (24K) topo maps, and the 1:100,000 scale maps. Knowing the 24K maps provide more detail then the 1:100,000 maps how does this impact the redrawing of the map page? Based on experience when using City Navigator, the 24K maps should not have a negative impact on the unit. I would like to hear from a user of the 24K products and U.S. Topo and find out if this assumption is correct.

If I understand correctly the units with older processor-software are not able to take advantage of the 3-D, and shadowing features of the software. If so is it worth purchasing the 24k Topo software?

The routeing feature of the new software is of interest if it works on city streets and back country trails.

I grew up using 7.5 minute (24K) topo maps, and the 1:100,000 scale maps. Knowing the 24K maps provide more detail then the 1:100,000 maps how does this impact the redrawing of the map page? Based on experience when using City Navigator, the 24K maps should not have a negative impact on the unit. I would like to hear from a user of the 24K products and U.S. Topo and find out if this assumption is correct.

If I understand correctly the units with older processor-software are not able to take advantage of the 3-D, and shadowing features of the software. If so is it worth purchasing the 24k Topo software?

The routeing feature of the new software is of interest if it works on city streets and back country trails.

I'm using the microSD 24K in my 60CSx. At the 5 mile scale, the redrawing of an area densely packed with topo lines takes about five seconds. That's the slowest redraw scenario I can find. Anything over 5 miles and the unit reverts to the basemap. Under 5 miles the redraw rate is faster.

You are correct that I can't take advantage of the 3D and shadowing features of the microSD 24K with the 60CSx. To date I think only the Colorado and Oregon series can do this.

The routing feature is cool as you can route along the trails in addition to the streets. Basically the trails are treated just like a street, and a route from start to finish can include both streets and trails in the calculation. In US Topo 2008 the trail routing is only available using Mapsouce while on your computer. In microSD 24K Topo you can route along a trail right on your GPSr, and I think this works with any Garmin GPSr that supports street routing.

I hope I answered all your questions.

You are correct that I can't take advantage of the 3D and shadowing features of the microSD 24K with the 60CSx. To date I think only the Colorado and Oregon series can do this.
I suspect that the Nuvi 2x5's and 5x0's can also do the shading like the CO/OR. From my Nuvi 205W.

SnowLake_DEM.gif

In discussing shading in another thread, it was noted that the colors are very dark. Have you also found the colors dark on your 60CSx? Are they objectionably dark? In the unshaded example, the thin white trail is almost invisible, how so on your GPS?

SL2.jpgSL4.jpg

Thanks

Edit: Oops, strike through

Edited by MtnHermit

I just put an Oregon Washington 24k in my 60Csx and couldn't be happier. Can't wait for Idaho/Montana to come out.

I don't normally use a handheld for driving navigation but I did with this chip this weekend and it was fantastic - for $84 bucks I have a unit that is far more capable than the $1500 option in my wife's Toyota Prius.

While I don't get the 3d stuff the added contour lines are a huge bonus as most of my hiking is off trail.