Can you trust an old Cache?

j2x

I'm new to geocaching and wonder if it's worth my time to go out and search for caches that were placed years ago. I find using the Google Map interface to locate caches very helpful, but when you click on a cache it only states when it was placed- not when it was last found. If caches are removed from the "wild", are they ever deleted from the online database?

Thanks,

James

I'm new to geocaching and wonder if it's worth my time to go out and search for caches that were placed years ago. I find using the Google Map interface to locate caches very helpful, but when you click on a cache it only states when it was placed- not when it was last found. If caches are removed from the "wild", are they ever deleted from the online database?

Thanks,

James

Click on the cache to open the quick link telling you name and date placed, Click on the cache name, that will open a link to the cache page, which will show when it was last successfully found. Caches that are lost/gone do get removed/disabled/archived.

Click on the cache to open the quick link telling you name and date placed, Click on the cache name, that will open a link to the cache page, which will show when it was last successfully found. Caches that are lost/gone do get removed/disabled/archived.

thanks! that'll help

(is there not a way to delete posts?)

Edited by j2x

Thanks! that'll help a lot

actually, I just tried that- and I might be missing something, but when I look at the Cache Page (like this one), I don't see any info for when it was last successfully found. :huh:

Edited by j2x

actually, I just tried that- and I might be missing something, but when I look at the Cache Page (like this one), I don't see any info for when it was last successfully found. :huh:

March 15th by Geo Swans (the very top post...if you scroll to the bottom of the page...)

March 15th by Geo Swans (the very top post...if you scroll to the bottom of the page...)

OH! I thought those were just posts regarding the cache- i didn't realize that it was a record of found/not found. thanks.

Yep, they are posts about the cache: but also others' experience with it and smiley face= found, frowny = Did not find

OH! I thought those were just posts regarding the cache- i didn't realize that it was a record of found/not found. thanks.

Those are the logs where people log their finds (or did not finds). If the last few logs were did not finds, then you would have reason to be concerned that the cache is not there.

If caches are removed from the "wild", are they ever deleted from the online database?

If your concernis that your own logs and smily face find will disappear, then even though a poster replied that caches get removed/deleted/archived, they exist FOREVER in the database and you can always goet to any of your finds on any archived caches.

And I would not be to concerned by the low find rate and that it has been a while. That is a more remote cache so not much traffic in that area.

Jim