Geocaching scoring ?

oclaf

If we had real stats we could score caches any number of ways. Skydiver used to have a system that scored caches based on the lack of finds. The idea was the path less taken was often the better path just like the poem.

I say, open it up and bring on the games. One cool thing about stats is that you could also do actual games. Track scores at events. Play keep away with a TB in real time. Play follow the leader etc.

Edited by Renegade Knight

I say, give developers some kind of API to geocaching.com and I'm sure you will see a lot of interesting games and stats emerge fast.

I have a couple of ideas I really think could be fun, but they all requires some amount of access to the geocaching database. Give us an API and we will make geocaching so much more...

I say, give developers some kind of API to geocaching.com and I'm sure you will see a lot of interesting games and stats emerge fast.

I have a couple of ideas I really think could be fun, but they all requires some amount of access to the geocaching database. Give us an API and we will make geocaching so much more...

The thing I like about this game is that each person can choose how competitive they want to make it. Some people have the attitude that they want those numbers and while its not me (yet) I do not think there is anything wrong with competitiveness.

It would be interesting to see what kind of other games they could develop using stats.

Look at the variations in competitive orienteering and most of them could be adapted to competitive geocaching.

Example: Score competition. Use an area of a couple thousand acres with a relatively high cache concentration. Assign a point value to each cache based on the difficulty and the distance from a single starting point. (perhaps add the difficulty stars, the terrain stars and one point for every half mile from the starting point) Everyone leaves from that starting point at the same time and has a time limit for the event. The person finishing within the time limit with the most points wins.

Example: Timed Cross country competition. Set out a 5 to 10 stage multicache covering 3-5 miles as measured in straight lines between the stages. Cachers leave a start point at 5 minute intervals. Fastest time to the final cache wins.