The Dalles-Dash Geo Coin Hunt

Rose Red

I traveled two hours to get to The Dalles where I completed 11 out of 12 caches (searched for over an hour for the one near Pulpit Rock that was missing and shortly thereafter archived) for The Dalles-Dash Coin Hunt. However when I turned in the Password answers at The Dalles Chamber of Commerce in mid-afternoon, I was not given a Geo Coin even though the coins were in the C of C. I was told that the Executive Director wanted to activate the coins before they were given out. Query: does a Geo Coin have to be activated before it is given to the Geocacher?

Not necessarily, it depends on the intent of the coin. If it's to travel, then yes it should be activated. Are they adopting the coins over to new owners or keeping them all themselves? (i don't mean the physical coin, I mean the ownership of the coin).

Edited by avroair

Not necessarily, it depends on the intent of the coin. If it's to travel, then yes it should be activated. Are they adopting the coins over to new owners or keeping them all themselves? (i don't mean the physical coin, I mean the ownership of the coin).

I do not want The Dalles Chamber of Commerce to have ownership. How do they go about "adopting the coins over to new owners?" I want to have ownership. I have no intention of releasing the coin "into the wild."

Edited by Rose Red

It sounds like the Dalles is a Chamber of Commerce sponsored cache hunt to bring attention to their members. It's a ploy for you to play tourist and in the end they give you a geocoin. I came across a similar hunt in Oregon. However, depending on how many coins were minted, it cost them thousands to have them done. They want to get something out of that investment not just your enjoyment of the caches hidden so I suspect they will activate the coins the ensure they are released, not sold or whatnot. It's their coin and their perogative to attach any strings they want before giving it to you for free.

Groundspeak does the same thing with their newer Lackey coins. They will give them away but they belong to Signal the Frog. That way you don't have a chance to profit from something given to you for nothing.

The older Lackey coins were adoptable. That is they were activated by Signal the Frog but ownership was transfered by Signal to the new coin owner to be. It's a simple process but can only be done by the registered coin owner (the one who activates the coin) to pass ownership to another.

The Dalles CofC may prefer that you release the coin into the wild to promote their business members. Or they may only want to entice geocachers to visit their member stores with a promise of a free coin. You can be sure they want a return on their investment.

Edit to add: I see you have a 2005 Lackey that still belongs to Signal. You can try to request for an adoption but I don't know if Signal's adopting coins away anymore since the 2007 Lackeys are NOT adoptable.

Edited by Droo

Droo, " I came across a similar hunt in Oregon." which one was that?

I have done three in Oregon this summer: the 2008 Mt. Hood Territory Geocache Challenge and the Canby Geo Coin Hunt in July as well as The Dalles-Dash Geo Coin Hunt in August. All were great fun.

Canby, Oregon is doing another Geo Coin Hunt in another month or so.

I guess that I really do not care who "owns" the few coins that I have collected. I have no intention of releasing them.

It is getting to the stage that I need to stop at a coin shop and purchase some plastic windows and a binder to put the plastic windows in.

Edited by Rose Red

It was in Clackamas county in the Mt Hood region but it was also a year ago so all the coins are gone by now I would venture. It was the first I'd heard of and was hot to do it after hitting the Trifecta (APE, GSHQ, Original Stash Cache). Sadly we didn't do it as we were a day late and experiencing mechanical difficulties with a deadline fast approaching.

It was in Clackamas county in the Mt Hood region but it was also a year ago so all the coins are gone by now I would venture. It was the first I'd heard of and was hot to do it after hitting the Trifecta (APE, GSHQ, Original Stash Cache). Sadly we didn't do it as we were a day late and experiencing mechanical difficulties with a deadline fast approaching.

There was the 2007 Clackamas County "Mt. Hood Territory" geocoin contest, a 2007 Canby (city of Canby, OR Chamber of Commerce sponsored) and there is now another 2008 "Mt. Hood Territory" contest with a similar geocoin prize. The Clackamas Geocaching Association has been quite active and doing a lot of promotion around the area. Lincoln City also did a geocoin contest promotion last summer.

There are possibly still coins available for some of the contests. I'd check out the Clackamas Geocaching Association's profile to get more info. I got my 2007 MT Hood Territory and have not participated in the others yet...

Were you asked to return for the Dalles Coin?

I received my The Dalles-Dash Geo Coin last week in the mail. My #2 son, Christopher, received his geocoin in the mail today. The Dalles Chamber of Commerce retained ownership.

Christopher and I did the 2007 Mt. Hood Territory Geocaching Challenge on August 26, 2008. There were about 7 or 8 geocoins remaining but I heard that they are all gone now.

Edited by Rose Red

We have made a number of these coins for tourism and comercial groups. It is always a struggle to know to how to handle activation.

Generally for the tourism groups the coins are activated by the receipents, because the point was to get cachers into a region spending money.

Regardless, there are a number of coins out there that you pretty much can only get as activated coins, but the owner is fine with you holding them. It sounds like this is the case for The Dalles-Dash Coin.