Copy/Save GPS data to PC?

JeLo34275

I'm a newbie who has recently purchased a Garmin Venture HC. I've loaded several dozen waypoints and geocache entries and am concerned about possibly damaging my GPS unit (by dropping or drowning-LOL) and losing all of the stored data. Is there any way to create a backup of this information on my PC?

Well worth getting a program like GSAK (only $15). This is a database program that stores waypoints and information (and also lets you have cache pages offline). If you become a Premium Member you can then download a pocket query (PQ) of up to 500 caches in a chosen area, load the file into GSAK and then transfer them to the GPS. Doesn't matter what happens to the GPS then, you've always got the files.

GSAK isn't the only program, there are others, but I use it and it does the job for me!

Your GPS may have come with a program called Trip and Waypoint Manager (they do in the UK!) and this will also let you handle waypoints on the PC.

Chris (MrB)

Thank you both. My Garmin came with MapSource software that I just learned allows me to upload and save data to my PC. I had thought that program was just for upgrading GPS software and/or installing additional (purchased) map files to my GPS.

I will also check out the programs you suggested.

Thanks again.

You can use GSAK for free if you don't mind the nag screen. But once you get up to speed with it you will most likely spend the $15. I had been using just GeoBuddy but for a cache database it's tough to beat GSAK! I still use GeoBuddy but for sorting and storing a large numbers of caches it's GSAK all lthe way.

I'm a newbie who has recently purchased a Garmin Venture HC. I've loaded several dozen waypoints and geocache entries and am concerned about possibly damaging my GPS unit (by dropping or drowning-LOL) and losing all of the stored data. Is there any way to create a backup of this information on my PC?

For backup purposes, don't use anything but MapSource or Trip and Waypoint Manager (same thing, but without maps). That's the only software that can restore everything, including routes, tracks, and the more obscure settings like proximity alarms, etc.

For backup purposes, don't use anything but MapSource or Trip and Waypoint Manager (same thing, but without maps). That's the only software that can restore everything, including routes, tracks, and the more obscure settings like proximity alarms, etc.

Thanks for your advice, SDD.