finding archived caches

va griz

I suspect this has been answered before but the search function keeps giving up on me.

There is a cache near me that will soon be archived. I haven't found it yet, but it seems from the logs that it was placed by a cacher that quit the game and does not respond to email. Should I take it out with me after it is archived? That makes sence to me, but I don't like to step on toes unintentionally.

Thanks, Griz

An "archived" cache that hasn't been removed by it's owner can be considered trash in my book, so you'd literally just be doing a little CITO.

I would however, just as a courtesy to the owner, post a note on the cache that indicates that you're willing to pick up the cache AFTER it's been archived and see to it's removal and give the owner the opportunity to say "thanks, but no thanks" to your offer. If you hear nothing, I'd say go for it and then post a folowup note afterwards indicating you have it and offering to return it to the owner if they desire.

If, as you indicate, the owner has left the game, you'lll probably never hear anything and you'll have done the environment a favor by removing what otherwise would have just become trash.

There was one like that in my area, a nice cache in a very secluded spot. I had found it, and when I saw it was in trouble, I thought it was worth saving. First, I emailed the owner. After no answer, I forwarded copy of the email to my reviewer with a request to adopt. The reviewer posted the account, and waited a month, then assigned the cache to my account. Good cache saved.

Since then, even if it is a great cache, I have been letting troubled caches die. We now have several new caches in those areas that I can go find.

I forwarded copy of the email to my reviewer with a request to adopt. The reviewer posted the account, and waited a month, then assigned the cache to my account.

Note that gc.com policy changed a few months ago, and non-consensual adoption is no longer allowed. I was sorry to see the change because I was preparing my dossier to try to take over a couple of oldie-goodies, but I can easily imagine the problems it could cause.

Edward

That's about what I figured. Just checked again and it's now archived. I have already emailed the owner about another missing cache of his with no answer. This one ihas about a years worth of "cache no longer waterproof" logs, so I'll pick it up.

Thanks folks.

That's about what I figured. Just checked again and it's now archived. I have already emailed the owner about another missing cache of his with no answer. This one ihas about a years worth of "cache no longer waterproof" logs, so I'll pick it up.

If the cache is in a good area, and you think people will still want to find it, you could replace the broken container with a new, fresh container. Then post a note on the cache page letting people know that a new container is in place and the cache is ready to be found.

Around here, if someone doesn't cache anymore and a cache has a problem, the community takes over maintaining them, which usually involves nothing most of the time except maybe one in awhile dropping a new log into a cache or replacing a container if it gets broken.

yes, email the owner, if no response within a reasonable time, go find the cache and collect it. log a find and state that you collected the container, and will hold onto it until X date. after that it's yours in my opinion. People leaving geotrash around is a big peeve of mine, and you'll see many cachers who don't care even a little if they leave trash out in the wild, even in the form of caches they no longer care enough about to even retrieve.

Just because the cache owner has left geocaching.com doesn't mean he has left geocaching. There are other listing sites out there.

Usually we can tell from the cache page logs and the owner profile page whether the cache owner is a serious cacher.

When it is clear that they were only interested in the game for a short time and then disappeared and the local cache community has shown no interest in continued maintenance I have no qualms about removing those containers.

As for the-listing-on-other-sites problem there is a simple solution: A note inside the container to that effect. Without a note the container is open to gc.com cacher policing action. If it is listed on another site and we remove the container then the owner will get the idea to either leave a note in the container or move it away from the archived position.

In fact, he doesn't have to have it listed at all. The cache belongs to him regardless of where it is or isn't listed on the Internet.

That said, if it looks like trash, CITO it.

Now that is an interesting point. The abandoned container might actually be in place with land owner permission and technically the container is the placer's property. I do know of two such caches that were placed by the property owner and then abandoned years ago but are still in place. Interesting question indeed.

But as you say, if it looks like trash then CITO it. I would do that (and have done that) unless there is something in the logs or profile page that raises a caution flag.

Listing a cache with gc.com adds a level of responsibility. The owner must be clear about their intentions or be subject to the self-policing actions by gc.com members.