Anyone know of any cool tricks for the Oregon series?

Arndtwe

KEY-Combinations:

* Master Reset: Press and hold upper left corner of display while powering on.- You'll get a question if you want to delete all user defined data.

* Diagnostic Page: Go to satellite page and press and hold upper left corner of display for 5 or more seconds.

* light/keylock: press power-key (you can select brightness and lock screen)

* Touchscreen calibration: Power on and hold key for 30 Sec. - adjust touch screen

* Screenshot: on the main menu: Setup->Display->ScreenCapture->ON then goto screen where you want and press (and quickly release) the power key - connect to computer - bitmap is saved in folder garmin/scrn of Oregon.

* Compasscalibration: Press and hold display on compass-page to start calibration

* every 5V mini-USB-Adapter (not only Garmin-adapters) is working fine with the Oregon if SPANNER-mode is activated. SETUP->SYSTEM->INTERFACE->Garmin Spanner

internal memory:

gmaptz.img --> TimeZone-Map contains time zones

gmapbmap.img --> DEM default BaseMap Priority (has priority to map with same name on µSD-card)

gmapprom.img --> customized maps or Worldmap4 Priority (has priority to map with same name on µSD-card)

gmapsupp.img --> customized maps (additional to gmapsupp.img on µSD-card)

KEY-Combinations:

While panning in track up mode tapping the compass rose in the upper left corner will temporarily switch to north up mode. Note: it is very hard to hit unless you have a small finger or stylus of some sort.

internal memory:

gmapbmap.img --> DEM default BaseMap Priority (has priority to map with same name on µSD-card)

gmapprom.img --> customized maps or Worldmap4 Priority (has priority to map with same name on µSD-card)

Have you verified that the OR load these two images from SD? At least with the CO I'm pretty sure the only image that the unit would load is gmapsupp.img even if the internal memory didn't have a file with the same name.

GO$Rs

i am using at same time - and it works fine:

gmaptz.img INTERN -- TimeZone-Map

gmapbmap.img INTERN -- DEM default BaseMap

gmapprom.img INTERN -- Worldmap4

gmapsupp.img INTERN -- custom map

gmapsupp.img EXTERN -- Garmin-Map

if you leave the intern maps as default you can put a gmapsupp.img on the µSD, which works also fine (tested)

other combinations did not make any sense for me

Edited by freeday
i am using at same time - and it works fine:

gmaptz.img INTERN -- TimeZone-Map

gmapbmap.img INTERN -- DEM default BaseMap

gmapprom.img INTERN -- Worldmap4

gmapsupp.img INTERN -- custom map

gmapsupp.img EXTERN -- Garmin-Map

if you leave the intern maps as default you can put a gmapsupp.img on the µSD, which works also fine (tested)

other combinations did not make any sense for me

Anyone else tried using the gmapprom and gmapbmap files together? I'm seeing a software error (Oregon 400t using sw v2.97) when I try to use the Enable or Disable buttons for the maps when I have the gmapbmap.img (Blue Charts) file Enabled and try to Disable the gmapprom.img file

The gmapbmap Enable/Disable button settings override the setting for the gmapprom setting to some degree (as far as what displays for being Enabled or Disabled with respect to the gmapprom.img map). If I Enable the gmapbmap map then it automatically Enables the gmapprom map, also. If I Disable the gmapbmap map then the gmapprom map is also Disabled automatically. Now, if I go back and Enable the gmapprom map it will still list it as being Disabled but it is actually Enabled when you view your map, even though it says it is Disabled. Both maps seem to work/display without problems except for the Enabling/Disabling function. Even with this annoying problem it is still a workable alternative as long as you know what is going on.

It is nice to be able to use the gmapbmap.img file in the 400t in conjunction with the gmapprom.img file storage area. This allows one to put another large map (800Mb - 1Gb) in internal memory in gmapbmap.img and still leave about 170 Mb of internal memory in gmapsupp.img for quick small downloads of custom maps or topo maps via Mapsource for a short notice/quick outing without having to use and addtional memory card or adding an addtional map to a memory card already loaded with a large volumn of maps.

I did send Garmin oregonbeta@garmin.com an email about this. Maybe it will be something they will check into. Curious if anyone else has seen the same?

Edited by eaparks