Garmin GPSmap 60CSx

I just got my new GPS and wanted to set the compass to the bearing pointer since my kids enjoy following the arrow towards the cache. In the manual I followed directions to get to the menu page for the compass but the course pointer option is not there. The list goes from Recalculate to Data fields and skips course ponter. Help!! WHY? Am i doing something wrong? How can I set the compass to bearing pointer?

Thanks,

JJB&A

Thanks for your quick reply, however when I go to compass, menu page the drop down list completely skips a pointer option. It should list in this order: Sight 'N go, Stop Navigation, Recalculate, Course pointer (either bearing or course), Data Fields, Change Data field, Calibrate compass, and restore defaults.

The list on my GPS completely skips the course/ bearing pointer option. It lists data fields immediately after recalculate.

Any suggestions on why or how to fix??

thanks again,

JJB&A

Thanks for your quick reply, however when I go to compass, menu page the drop down list completely skips a pointer option. It should list in this order: Sight 'N go, Stop Navigation, Recalculate, Course pointer (either bearing or course), Data Fields, Change Data field, Calibrate compass, and restore defaults.

The list on my GPS completely skips the course/ bearing pointer option. It lists data fields immediately after recalculate.

Any suggestions on why or how to fix??

thanks again,

JJB&A

That's weird. I couldn't replicate the condition you're experiencing. I'd suggest a call to Garmin, or a hard reset.

Please check team LRS response. If you are not navigating toward a waypoint then it will only act as a compass. Try putting in a waypoint and do a go to. I think you will find it will work correctly. You should also have the options you are looking for at that point. It seems to me that you also have the option of the speed you want it to transition from one view to the other.

Very strange. I too cannot duplicate your issue.

It doesn't appear to be related to whether or not you are navigating towards a point or not. I brought up the Menu on my unit and even while not navigating to a point I am able to select Course/Bearing Pointer:

compass_menu.jpg

As with any tech support issue, make sure you are running the latest firmware for your unit:

Version 3.70

Thanks to all for answering. I have been playing around a lot--and yes I figured I would have to be navigating to a point for the "bearing pointer" to work (I am gear challenged, not mentally challenged--ha ha truly just a joke I may be challenged in both areas!!)

Anyway, I finally got the bearing pointer to work but another question since I am truly trying to learn the gear.

Why is the pointer options only visible when I hit stop navigation? Just a curiosity more than anything else. I just know that after playing around with the GPS the pointer options showed up after I hit stop navigation???

Again thanks to all, I am sure I will have more questions

JJB&A