What do you do with swag found?

I&J

I just finished reading the post about "what annoys you most..." and quote from there DamhuisClan's question: What do you guys do with the items you trade in caches?

We try to trade at every cache we find and even try to leave something small in micros. With only 98 finds to date, we already have collected quite a few things and the female in the team is now getting worried that it's getting in the way! :) Somehow these things do have sentimental value as I can still remember the effort that went into finding most of them! :ph34r:

Most of the stuff I trade is passed on to my 4 year old daughter. Yesterday I found a neon goldfish....she will love diving that out of the deep end of the pool!

Some of the stuff just goes to general use...a putty knife, waterproof pouches, cd's.

I like to leave functional stuff for trade (most recent left items..new white socks, lip balm. face sponges) and would hope they would be used rather than collected.

I leave valid lottery tickets in micos, hope they are not just collected!

I collected swag from my first 200 caches that I found. Traded with any cache that had something to trade, and even dropped off some small items in micros that had no trade items. As I knew my disappointment when finding the micro's and could not trade. View my profile picture to see all the trade items collected. Can you find any items you placed? Since then I had been able to place caches that are bursting at the seams with trading items.

View my profile picture to see all the trade items collected. Can you find any items you placed?

Wow, I like that display you've put together for the photo! Identified the numbered Rubic's cube as well as the blue smiley rubber (bottom centre) as familiar, but of course - there's many other "Crazy Store" items that also look familiar :)

:anibad: Did you really find the GPS recievers in caches too? - suppose those were just to show how you got hold of all of these toys!? :D

Edited by I&J

View my profile picture to see all the trade items collected. Can you find any items you placed?

The travelling Snakes & Ladders could be a possibility, but I have come across a few of these. I'm glad to see that you have removed a number of illegal items, hope they don't find their way into caches again.

Does the amex card still work :laughing:

Sorry to say the GPS'S and American Express card are dummies. But being FTF a cache does allow you the best pick of the items :laughing: . The head mounting torch found in a cache now has a permanent place in my cache bag and gets used quite often searching for those FTF's at night.

Edited by iNokia

Generally speaking I do not take anything out of caches unless there is something that really catches my fancy - TB's and coins aside. I will remove things that I might feel are inappropriate in a cache - food, etc. I normally make a point of adding things to caches - especially micros. My "signature" - especially overseas - is a flag and a banknote, both of which will fit in micros easily.

In the beginning I tried to find something in a cache that I really fancy,but then there is days where there is more calling cards than swag in the container!

For that reason I would then add some, causing my stash to drop in quantity.Then its back to crazy store to get some more goodies :D

The swag I do take for some reason never find its way back to a cache,ie. deck of cards, lights,etc.Thats what makes it so exciting to find the next cache!In general I havent found very expensive caches, so therefore I havnt traded any expensive swag.

By the way,has anyone seen the Zim dollars floating around some caches?Its the first time I have ever seen an expiry date on a bank note!Now those I like collecting....makes a good talking topic at cache events! :D

Edited by bosveldklong

We always trade, and keep all our retrieved items in a separate box, and will never find their way back into caches. Each one is also logged in an Open Office spreadsheet, and in my geocaching log book.

One day I hope to be able to display all of them, but I still need to figure out how.

From this thread, I actually now realize that I like it when a micro does have a small trade item.

For me, taking something from the cache makes it something tangible.

On our 100th find we found a champagne glass. How appropriate!

Lots of the items have a special place.

As we do it together as a family, the rule is the person that finds the cache may select what we take out, and what it then left in its place.

I do find it a pity that some people do not trade, when we placed a cache, as we took the time, to add items into something bigger then a micro.

But then each to his/her own.