Topo Maps Canada

memorybabe

Hello,

I am not sure if I am in the right Forum. However, here is my problem.

I am trying to downloaded Topo Canada maps to my laptop and then to my GPS.

I recently purchased a etrex vista cx. It came with a CD - Trip & Waypoint Manager, which I installed. I then

installed Mapsource software version 6.14.1 from the Garmin website. I was able to bring up Mapsource on

the screen. Could not do anything with it as there were no maps downloaded to it. I then ran MapUpdate and

downloaded the topo maps,which took a couple of hours. I was not prompted as to which directory the topo

maps were to be downloaded to, I assumed they were being loaded to Mapsource. After MapUpdate was

complete, I attempted to open Mapsource and I got the following error message.

There is a problem with the NTDBData installation

Please re-install NTDBData and start Mapsource again

I did not know that I had installed NTDBData in the first place !

What do I do now ?

I require assistance, thanking you in advance for your time to help !

MEMORYBABE

This error is essentially asking you to re-install your map data. The only solution i can really think of is uninstalling mapsource, rebooting, and installing mapsource again, then adding your maps again.

Try to avoid doing a map update, see if that works. If it does, I would recommend just using the old maps! Topo doesnt change that drastically over time :D

I believe the OP is referring to Ibycus' Topo Maps, in which case in order to have them work in the newest version of Mapsource, you need to use MapUpdateBeta.exe. I don't have the link right now, but if you look in the forum for his maps, you should find the link.

Hope that helps.

I believe the OP is referring to Ibycus' Topo Maps, in which case in order to have them work in the newest version of Mapsource, you need to use MapUpdateBeta.exe. I don't have the link right now, but if you look in the forum for his maps, you should find the link.

Hope that helps.

Definitely refering to my maps. (NTDBData is the map file name for my maps).

Anyways, there are two solutions:

1. Patch the 1.5 installation (assuming that is what you have installed).

2. Upgrade to 2.0beta (recommended, this one is *much* better IMO)

2.0beta is now the default download with MapUpdate (although you should use the latest version),

http://www.ibycus.com/ibycustopo/download/MapUpdate.exe

This is a new area to me and I'm perhaps just confused.

My expectation for running MapUpdate was a download of topo maps that I could then transfer to my GPSmap 60CSx. After numerous problems (e.g. unable to run MapSource after trying to install MapUpdate and including having to reinstall MapSource and run MapUpdate numerous times) I still don't seem to get much.

- MapSource runs very very slowly - screen updates as I scroll on the base MapSource map takes for ever

- MapUpdate maps (Ibycus Topo 2.0beta) seems to be loaded (maybe), but when selected I get more or less random lines

I suspect the problem may be that MapUpdate always seems to crash with an error of

RunTime error '52'

Bad file name or number.

Help and clarification much appreciated!

You shouldn't need to uninstall mapsource. The problem (if I understand correctly) is caused by a corrupted IMG file that is crashing my program when its checking for updates. I should really be more fault tolerant, but its sometimes difficult to anticipate exactly where the errors will come up (the last one was when reading the date stamp from the file).

As a work around, you can delete the last numbered files in \Program Files\TopoMaps\imgs (or as a last result all of them) and re-run MapUpdate.

Dale

I've done a number of re-installs etc, but will now try deleting all files and trying again.

What version of MapSource do you have?

I have several versions of Mapsource running in different places (including 6.14). There are some problems with some very old versions of mapsource.

Dale

I'm still working my way to a resolution here. The primary problem appears to be the "Runtime error '52'' problem.

I don't think the version of MapSource is related to my issue with MapUpdater, but elsewhere on Groundspeak there's a thread noting that 6.14 is very slow. I had this problem too and went back to 6.13.7 which is much faster in updating the screen.

For anyone having a similar issue, I've resolved my problem.

My conclusion, to be confirmed by the author, is MapUpdate didn't "like" some other files that were in the directory where files were saved (my c:\). My fix was to move all the .img files to another directory, update the registry entries used by MapUpdate to point to the new directory, and re-run MapUpdate.

It's not clear why MapUpdate chose c:\ originally, but if you end up with your imgs here, they can be moved somewhere else.

Hello,

I am not sure if I am in the right Forum. However, here is my problem.

I am trying to downloaded Topo Canada maps to my laptop and then to my GPS.

I recently purchased a etrex vista cx. It came with a CD - Trip & Waypoint Manager, which I installed. I then

installed Mapsource software version 6.14.1 from the Garmin website. I was able to bring up Mapsource on

the screen. Could not do anything with it as there were no maps downloaded to it. I then ran MapUpdate and

downloaded the topo maps,which took a couple of hours. I was not prompted as to which directory the topo

maps were to be downloaded to, I assumed they were being loaded to Mapsource. After MapUpdate was

complete, I attempted to open Mapsource and I got the following error message.

There is a problem with the NTDBData installation

Please re-install NTDBData and start Mapsource again

I did not know that I had installed NTDBData in the first place !

What do I do now ?

I require assistance, thanking you in advance for your time to help !

MEMORYBABE

OK,, here the fix--- no reinstalling at all!!

go into registry (run- regedit) and find "ntdbdata" which will apear under "families"

both in "ntdbdata" and in "1" where you a "\" whats happening it lost where to find it.... if you look at any other installed map, they all have an exact location.. so.....

Verify that this is the directory for you file location " C:\Program Files\TopoMaps "

Then paste it before the \

close regedit.... start mapsouce---- not even a restart needed.....

OK,, here the fix--- no reinstalling at all!!

go into registry (run- regedit) and find "ntdbdata" which will apear under "families"

both in "ntdbdata" and in "1" where you a "\" whats happening it lost where to find it.... if you look at any other installed map, they all have an exact location.. so.....

Verify that this is the directory for you file location " C:\Program Files\TopoMaps "

Then paste it before the \

close regedit.... start mapsouce---- not even a restart needed.....

Hi,

The above is (unfortunately) only partly correct, and could confuse some people using a different version. The latest version of the maps uses a different key to install under ( HKLM\Software\Garmin\Mapsource\Families\IbycsTop ). Current 'default' install directory is \Program Files\Ibycus Topo\ (drive dependent on system being installed on).

The current installed location for the maps (along with version number) is saved in \HKCU\Software\VB and VBA Program Settings\IbycusTopo\Install\ (actually just noticed the one on my system isn't reight, so I can't confirm that I actually updated the install path there in the latest version of the installer, but it should have).

Anyways, all this is academic for a few reasons,

1) Original poster's problem was caused by a bug in MapUpdate, this bug was fixed months ago.

2) I don't use mapupdate any more.

3) Similar problems are easiest to resolve using cypherman's Mapsettoolkit, it should handle all the registry stuff for you.

Dale