Help! Need TIPS for 60CSx 1st time user

fmajor007

Hello All!

I am aware that reading the User Manual will go a long way toward answering many of my basic questions, but there is nothing like advice from people who use a device regularly!!!

Do you have any tips/suggestions for a 1st time GPS and Garmin 60CSx user? Things that YOU would have done 1st?

I will definitely need help in areas like:

- Firmware updates

- up-loading maps

- using ANY mapping software

- any tips related to using maps (free-ware/topographical/etc)

My 60CSx is scheduled to be delivered TOMORROW!!! I am pretty stoked, but short on time - as in no time to down-load the manual and pre-read it before my device arrives....

TIA!!!

frank

Do you have any tips/suggestions for a 1st time GPS and Garmin 60CSx user?
1. Check your firmware versions. MENU MENU>Setup>System>MENU>Software Version. It should say Software Version 3.70, GPS SW Version 3.00. If you have anything else, get the current versions. If you need to update the GPS SW Version, you have to run WebUpdater (a free download from Garmin). The other firmware, 3.70 can be downloaded from Garmin’s update page and manually installed if you prefer.

2. Calibrate the compass right away (Compass page>MENU>Calibrate Compass). Otherwise, you may get some confusing, disorienting map rotation when the magnetic compass kicks in. By default, the magnetic compass will come on and control the orientation of the map display when you are below some specified threshold speed for some specified time. These are user settings, and I don’t recall what the defaults are. You can change them on the compass setup page (MENU>MENU>Setup>Heading).

3. Turn on track log recording and set up track logging to the memory card. MENU>MENU>Tracks. Make sure the “On” radio button at the top of the page is checked. Then select Setup>Data Card Setup>Check “Log Track Data to Card”.

4. Customize your page sequence for the way you intend to use it. You may want to add some, eliminate others, rearrange the order. MENU MENU>Setup>Page Sequence. I eliminated the Main Menu page, because it’s easier and faster to access the Main Menu by pressing the MENU button twice (as in the instructions given above). You may not be sure how you want it at first, but you can always change this later when you find out what you use frequently.

5. Useful button shortcuts: The ZOOM IN and OUT buttons also scroll through lists, one page at a time. Also to the top or bottom of a menu with one press. A real time saver. Pressing the FIND button twice brings up the Recent Finds page (so I don’t keep that one in my page sequence either). Press and hold the PAGE button to turn the magnetic compass on or off. Hold the button until the unit gives you a confirmation. If you turn it off this way, it won’t come back on until you press and hold PAGE again, regardless of the settings on the Heading setup page.

Edited by roybassist

Hey ryleyinstl - WOW!!!! Thanks for all the map sites - i'll be adding those to my "favorites" list!

Hey roybassist - This is USER info that is sooo helpful - it is exactly the kinds of "shortcuts" i was looking for (in addition to maps and related "how to's" like those from ryleyinstl).

Keep 'em coming!!!

Thanks again!

frank

Once you get your updates take it outside, turn it on and leave it on for about 30 minutes under a clear sky. The first time it really needs some time to get its position, especially if you have WAAS turned on. Some users think that WAAS takes more power and runs down the batteries faster, but I have not fund this to be the case with my GPS.

Go caching the first few times with an experienced cacher. Life is a lot easier if someone is there to show you the ropes and what to look for when caching.

Maps - you get what you pay for. Free is nice, but to really utilize the capabilities of your unit you'll want routability, which mans paying for garmin maps, which isn't really that bad in the long run - they're good, easy to use, etc. I use city navigator 2009, and it works great. You may have special mapping needs, in which case follow your muse.

Tracks - there are many schools of thought here. Roy's plan is pretty popular. I prefer to use internal memory, and export them with loadmytracks, a mac app, and then put them in google earth, just so I can have lots of pretty lines that show where I've been.

Compass - again, several schools of thought. My advice would be to learn how to turn it off, after learning how to calibrate it of course, and then leave it off unless you really need it - it's more trouble than it's worth for general use.

General setup - you'll probably figure out which pages you need/want, and in what order, after using the thing for a while. I tend to use the map page the most, and like to have north up so the map doesn't spin around - I'm used to that setup, but many others do different things.

Accessories - the only thing I use is the garmin beanbag car mount, which is pretty indispensible for me. Lots of people like cases and such - I've never felt a need for them, the unit's pretty rugged. Also, a set of sanyo enerloop or the equivalent batteries and a decent charger - I actually use the duracell version of these, which are marketted as being rechargeables that are precharged - they work about the same as alkalines, but are a lot cheaper in the long run.

It's an exciting day - my 60CSx came - Yahoo!!!!!! I bought it from Amazon and it came with a 128MB card - i thought they came with 64MB cards..... a nice surprise to say the least.

I followed roybassist/ryleyinstl/night stalker's instructions beginning with updating the firmware via Garmin's site - that was sooooo easy. Then calibrated the compass - again, it was soooo easy.

I've also changed/added/deleted certain pages from the display - this was a little more interesting to find, but once located, it was/is easy.

Next is loading up the City Navigator map, but i don't think it's going to be too challenging.

Thanks again for all the tips!

frank

Tracks - there are many schools of thought here. Roy's plan is pretty popular. I prefer to use internal memory, and export them with loadmytracks, a mac app, and then put them in google earth, just so I can have lots of pretty lines that show where I've been.
You probably already know this, but just to make sure everyone does: logging tracks to the card is not “instead of” logging to internal memory, but “in addition to” it. If logging to the card is set up, the same track log data will be recorded both in internal memory and on the card.

The only difference is that if internal memory fills up, the card will continue logging all track data without interruption or overwriting anything, unless the card fills up. The only reason I can think of for not logging tracks to the card is if you had very little free space on the card. (The track log files recorded there aren’t very big: about 1.2 MB for 10000 points.)

. The only reason I can think of for not logging tracks to the card is if you had very little free space on the card. (The track log files recorded there aren’t very big: about 1.2 MB for 10000 points.)

Well, the reason I don't also keep them on the card is that after many years of using these things, I know I'll never do anything with the saved tracks, so why bother? However, your point is valid, and I probably shouldn't have made that suggestion to a newbie - just offering up what works for me. I really liked your shortcuts - I didn't know about some of them also!

"Useful button shortcuts: The ZOOM IN and OUT buttons also scroll through lists, one page at a time. Also to the top or bottom of a menu with one press. A real time saver"

Thanks! I've had mine for 2 years now and never knew about this!

Thank you...I didn't know about this one--it will be very helpful! One more that is very helpful is pressing the Find button twice to go to recent finds. I just learned about that one, and it's also very useful.