External antenna

Has anyone ever used an external antenna? I'm looking for a new GPS, and having the option to add on an external antenna sounds nice. I could hike a long trail, with the GPS tucked safely away in my backpack, and a receiver strapped to a shoulder pad or something. I'd want something where the antenna can be used, and also removed for standard GPSr usage. Know of any GPSr that can do this? How much can I expect to spend for the external antenna once I buy my GPSr?

Many Garmins can use External antennas. My spare backup unit is a really old Garmin GPS48 Marine unit where the main antenna is attached to the unit with a BNC connector and can be removed and replaced. Only recently did I come across a free antenna at my junk yard/transfer station.

Thinks like the Garmin 60CSx have an internal antenna and a connector for an external antenna, it senses if there is an external antenna by seeig that current is being drawn off of the external antenna plug (most external antennas have built-in amplifiers and the gPS supplys 5V to 12V out that connector).

As for actually using one in the woods...

I've used mine in the car with the cable out the window and the magnetic antenna on the roof.

I imagine that one could put a metal block inside a baseball hat and attach the antenna to theoutside of the hat. But it would be uncomfortable I think.

but think about the cable coming out of your backpack and winding its way up to your head. Could strangle you, could be ungainly, could get tangled in brush when bushwhacking and ripped or torn, could pullthe antenna off your head if you walk fast enough.......

Edited by trainlove

When I used my Garmin 60C in the woods, I used an external antenna sometimes. It gave me reception of three or four more satellites so it was a big help.

The downside was that I had a cable running from the GPS to the top of my hat and sometimes this cable would get hung up on branches and other things.

The antenna was only $30 and it did increase the battery usage of my GPSr but sometimes it made the difference between having a signal or not.

Has anyone ever used an external antenna? I'm looking for a new GPS, and having the option to add on an external antenna sounds nice. I could hike a long trail, with the GPS tucked safely away in my backpack, and a receiver strapped to a shoulder pad or something. I'd want something where the antenna can be used, and also removed for standard GPSr usage. Know of any GPSr that can do this? How much can I expect to spend for the external antenna once I buy my GPSr?

I used an external antenna frequently with my 76CS. In the woods it made a real difference. Since I bought my 76CSx I have not used it one time. The high sensitivity chip almost eliminates the need for the external antenna. Either the 60 or 76 "x" series receivers or the various eTrex "H" series have the high sensitivity receivers. I believe the Colorado and the Oregon also have the same chip as the eTrex H series.

Click here for a look at an external Ant.

If you’re getting a new GPS this antenna will not give you better signal strength unless you can get it on the other side of the thing that is causing the signal loss. In new units the high sensitivity chip sets have done away with the need for external antennas for regular use.

Might I suggest purchasing a protective case for the GPS and just clipping it on your belt or on the back of your pack. Much simpler.

Only some GPSr need to be pointing upwards and even then those that prefer it usually work quite well regardless (new chipsets). My eTrex HCx works the same whether it's up, down, backwards, or sideways. Belt clip has worked very well for me. As long as you're not a 300lb fat-o with gargantuan love handles for the GPSr to get lost in you should be fine. When biking I usually zip the GPSr in the outside pocket of my Camelback....again no signal issues. That said an external antenna won’t hurt anything (other than battery life).

Edited by ryleyinstl

Your body will reduce signal strength when it is between the GPSr and a satellite. While a 60Csx won't benefit from an ext under tree cover when both have the same view, the ext is still useful when it is more convenient to put it in the best location.

I can put my ext on a 30 foot pole and get it above tree cover in many cases when mapping mangroves and other low forests - not everyones need though!

Try holding the unit close and bending over it to see the signal strength drop.