planning caching trip to PA, NJ, DE, MD

techiegrl64

We are planning a trip to Pennsylvania in 2 weeks. We plan to fly into Philadelphia on a Thursday and take a somewhat roundabout path over into New Jersey, down to Delaware, over to Maryland (figured we could pick up 4 new states on this trip!), and then up through Pennsylvania to stay with family in the Millville/Bloomsburg area for the weekend. To catch our return flight from Philadelphia we plan to drive back down through the eastern portion of Pennsylvania so we can pick up some additional counties.

We're not familiar with that area and are looking for cache recommendations, including your favorites, historical, oldest caches, or just plain cool ones.

Thanks for your help!

We are planning a trip to Pennsylvania in 2 weeks. We plan to fly into Philadelphia on a Thursday and take a somewhat roundabout path over into New Jersey, down to Delaware, over to Maryland (figured we could pick up 4 new states on this trip!), and then up through Pennsylvania to stay with family in the Millville/Bloomsburg area for the weekend. To catch our return flight from Philadelphia we plan to drive back down through the eastern portion of Pennsylvania so we can pick up some additional counties.

Here's a link to the bookmark thread there are a lot of good caches listed in there.

Focus on the NJ Finest and Penn Favorites, and the Philly caches.

There is also a couple of DC area caches listed there, althoughI don't know if you're making it that far south.

There are a lot of good caches and cachers down that way that should be able to provide you with some must do cache.

If you are looking for one place to go in NJ where you can find a lot of challenging caches, I would recommend the Sparta Edison Wildlife Management Area. The coordinates of this Earthcache are essentially the parking coordinates.

It is a great hiking area with varied terrain a lot of history (Thomas Edison's Factory Foundations seen as you walk around) and probably 20+ caches to choose from including the NJ Favorite "Dark Hole" by Treequest.

If you are looking for one place to go in NJ where you can find a lot of challenging caches, I would recommend the Sparta Edison Wildlife Management Area. The coordinates of this Earthcache are essentially the parking coordinates.

It is a great hiking area with varied terrain a lot of history (Thomas Edison's Factory Foundations seen as you walk around) and probably 20+ caches to choose from including the NJ Favorite "Dark Hole" by Treequest.

Edison's Dark Rock is there too. If you were going to do one cache in NJ that won't take a major time investment, I'd say this is the one.

If you'll be up along 80 in PA, I'd suggest checking out Worthington State Forest by the Delaware Water Gap, and just over the border in NJ (I believe an exit and a half, there's a pulloff from the highway) There are a bunch of caches and some of the views are just amazing :unsure:

I'd recommend a counterclockwise loop, only because it might take all day to tackle them all and going counterclockwise you'd hit the ones with nicer views first... also If you're anything like PolskiKrol and I (crazy, overambitious, stupid, I don't know) the AT is a much easier trail to run down as the sun is setting :ph34r:

GCB7A1 is the furthest one (from the I-80 parking area), and probably has the nicest view, but will make for a looong day..