Rubbermaid container with screw on top for geocache?

cnh624

Has anyone used one of these for a geocache container? Was it waterproof? Saw some in Wal Mart and was thinking about getting one to set out as a geocache. THe one we looked at had a red lid so I would camo it to alter the look but they are clear containers. Did not know if they were any good or not.

Has anyone used one of these for a geocache container? Was it waterproof? Saw some in Wal Mart and was thinking about getting one to set out as a geocache. THe one we looked at had a red lid so I would camo it to alter the look but they are clear containers. Did not know if they were any good or not.

Honestly, LockNLock's are the best. If you wonder if its water tight, then do a test on it.

I've found that using tried items the best. but someone has to try new things.

So if no one responds, try it out. Bury it in a compost heap, or in a damp spot.

The one-gallon Rubbermaid plastic jar, with a screw on lid, is my preferred container for hides (second only to ammo cans). I think it is more water tight than a lock'n'lock. If a finder doesn't lock down all of the tabs on a lock'n'lock or if a ziploc or paper gets caught in the seal, water can get in. In general, when a finder replaces a screw top, they tighten it properly. Everyone has experience with a screwtop jar; not everyone has used a lock'n'lock.

The only problem that the rubbermaid jar has is if the jar is placed upside down, water can get in.

Edited by CacheNCarryMA

Here's an idea on a cheap caching container - I wish I could say I thought of it. In the last 1 - 2 years, information about the potentially harmful effects of chemicals (namely Bisphenol A) leaching from polycarbonate (hard plastic) water bottles has lead many people to ditch them for alternatives.

A friend of mine put up a note in his office offering to buy old Nalgene and other similar water bottles. He snagged 10 of them within a few days, most were just given to him. They're very much water tight and extremely durable.

My one and only placed cache is in one of these. Works great.