No Habla Travel Bugzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

infiniteMPG

Is it just me or does it seem that the ability to properly log and move TB's and trackables is becoming a lost art? Or is it just too much work? Many of us spend a lot of time and creativity on trackables only to have them vanish off the radar or end up decaying away in a remote cache because they were improperly logged. I have a TB called Game On!!! that was supposedly logged into a cache 11/11/2006 and today I just received a log that it was found and retrieved from a different cache after sitting idle almost 2 years in the wrong cache. Thankfully someone was thoughtful or curious enough to see what all these ticket stubs were.

Other caches have been put out in the wild made from parts of melted auto engines from car fires, collectables from big events, and things with sentimental value. Missing in action. Even the latest FGA Geocoin had a picture of me cast in it and the first one I put out in a TB motel vanished before even being picked up the first time. The horror stories of misplaced, missing and incorrectly logged TB's seems endless.

Is it too much to ask for people to learn what a TB is and how it works prior to grabbing it from the cache??? It just seems to be getting worse as I get quite a few emails and logs where people went to pick a TB up listed in inventory and it's not there..... :)

Our area has some bandits :) (teenagers?) stealing TBs and GeoCoins so we've put the word out. I had someone email me that they were out of town on vacation and just got emailed that a TB was put in the cache they owned...asked me to go get it. When I got home I checked and it's listed in a prior cache by a prior person. I emailed the last person at the cache to record it but haven't heard back....go figger!! :)

Our area has some bandits :) (teenagers?) stealing TBs and GeoCoins so we've put the word out. I had someone email me that they were out of town on vacation and just got emailed that a TB was put in the cache they owned...asked me to go get it. When I got home I checked and it's listed in a prior cache by a prior person. I emailed the last person at the cache to record it but haven't heard back....go figger!! :)
If you have the TB in your possession you can snatch it, log it out of the previous cache, then post a note in the cache it's supposed to be in and drop it off in there, then post another note to grab it and then the TB will have the correct mileage and will show correctly as being in your possession. No need to have anyone else do anything if you want to get it corrected quick. I have also heard you can delete the TB drop note but I'd rather leave them myself so the owner can see what happened.

Had to do this on several occasions but have been burned by it, too. Had someone post a note that a TB of mine was in a nearby cache here in Florida. They didn't post that they took if from the cache in Indiana nor that they placed it, just posted a note. So I emailed them, found out what cache they placed it in and did the switch myself. A couple days later I visited the cache and no TB!!!! Also no visits by anyone lately including the cacher who said they placed it. No replies to emails or anything and then FIVE MONTHES LATER it shows up in British Columbia!!! ACK!!!!

I agree with the OP. It's very frustrating to loose TBs. But, I keep telling myself that once I release that TB, it's gone. Folks either don't know or don't care. If the item looks interesting to them, it's theirs. I just wish I could track them down and kneecap them. :(

I also wish TB owners and cache owners would use the option, "mark item as missing" when they receive info that their trackable is not in the cache listed.

I agree with the OP. It's very frustrating to loose TBs. But, I keep telling myself that once I release that TB, it's gone. Folks either don't know or don't care. If the item looks interesting to them, it's theirs. I just wish I could track them down and kneecap them. :(

I also wish TB owners and cache owners would use the option, "mark item as missing" when they receive info that their trackable is not in the cache listed.

We don't threaten violence in these forums, thank you.