cartridge crash in builder

Captain Gore-tex

I have been busy compiling a simple zone to zone cartridge and decided to add in a variable that incremented if a zone had been entered so that is a player reached a further zone but had not visited an intermediate one they would be displayed a message to go back.

having fiddled aroung I tried to save the cartrideg in the builder and a message flashed up and then the builder closed.

having tried to open up the same cartidge I get the following message:

error%20message.jpg

I have opened the cartridge in notepad and tried to remove all reference to the variable that seems to have caused the crash but still cannot open it.

I would be grateful for any help please. i have attached the current file.

Backwell_Wander.zip

I took a quick look at it. All I can say is "ouch". Even that is corrupt.

I'll take some time out tonight before logging my weekend cache runs and see what those two files have and post a version of your file that you can open. I can't reconstruct beyond that, but at least I can give you something you can open.

It's almost 5PM in my time zone and I worked straight through lunch today. Feed me... food...

I'll take some time out tonight before logging my weekend cache runs and see what those two files have and post a version of your file that you can open. I can't reconstruct beyond that, but at least I can give you something you can open.

It's almost 5PM in my time zone and I worked straight through lunch today. Lunch/supper would be nice... and a cache...

I have been busy compiling a simple zone to zone cartridge and decided to add in a variable that incremented if a zone had been entered so that is a player reached a further zone but had not visited an intermediate one they would be displayed a message to go back.

having fiddled aroung I tried to save the cartrideg in the builder and a message flashed up and then the builder closed.

having tried to open up the same cartidge I get the following message:

error%20message.jpg

I have opened the cartridge in notepad and tried to remove all reference to the variable that seems to have caused the crash but still cannot open it.

I would be grateful for any help please. i have attached the current file.

Have a similar error, i give up this aweful buggy s*** again....

It's almost 5PM in my time zone and I worked straight through lunch today. Lunch/supper would be nice... and a cache...

That is it, thanks for the help Ranger Fox, back to the desktop. I have found out what is causing the crash and corruption; it is when adding other than a couple of words to the optional buttons or adding script runs to them, strange.

post-1316195-1222183913.jpgI am getting a similar error when I try to open I cartridge that I had previously developed. I can open the cartridge on the machine I built it on and one other, but on two other machines I receive the following error message:

Error Reading Cartridge.

System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL 'ZonesEngine.dll": This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect.

Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. (Exception from HRESULT:0x800736B1)

at Groundspeak.Wherigo.ZonesEngine.ZonesEngineDLL.InitializeEngine(Byte[] szDeviceId, Byte[] szLogFolder)

at ZonesAuthor.LuaFunctions.ReadLuaCartridge(String luaFileName)

at ZonesAuthor.frmMain.OpenCartridgeFile()

Since the computer I am attempting to get it to work on is my new computer, I would like to find a way to get this silly thing to work. In the meantime, I will make my modification on the old computer. Any suggestions would be helpful.

System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load DLL 'ZonesEngine.dll": This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect.

Here are a couple of older threads on this topic:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=195299 (see post #2)

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=192945

Both pretty much touch on the same problem. Download an older version and it should work I believe is the answer. I know it did for me.

Errors I run across usually are from deleting media that was referenced else where in a zone, then when you try to publish it or save it, it corrupts the save, or sometimes it errors out on the save and messes up. You have to find the reference error before you can save it again correctly. The builder is missing error checking to prevent it from being deleted. If you exit the builder before finding the error you will loose your work because the save is corrupted.

John

Errors I run across usually are from deleting media that was referenced else where in a zone, then when you try to publish it or save it, it corrupts the save, or sometimes it errors out on the save and messes up. You have to find the reference error before you can save it again correctly. The builder is missing error checking to prevent it from being deleted. If you exit the builder before finding the error you will loose your work because the save is corrupted.

John

I agree. You have to be very careful when deleting objects.

However, there is an option via Tools > Cross Reference which allows you top select your object to identify any dependencies.

I've also seen a problem where the Builder will save only part of a cartridge. Looking at the lua script, it seems as if the Builder terminated in the midst of writing the file. It always seems to happen in the Builder or author functions section.

I haven't come across this problem often when fixing others' cartridges. I can't write up a test case to submit to Groundspeak without being able to reproduce it on demand.