Paperless cacheing

I have both a Palm m500 and an m515. Both work well for Geocaching with Cachemate installed. If you want one that has a few more features, the Zire 72 Silver Edition is pretty cool. All of these units are easy to see in bright sunlight. Some of the other models, including the TX are hard to see outside. You should be able to get a Palm m500 that connects to your computer with USB for less than $30.00.

For "paperless" caching, you will want to become a Premium Member. Then you can get Pocket Queries. I use GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) on my PC to handle all the PQ data.

What do you folks recomend for a Palm Piolet unit and what software to go with it to go paperless. I would like to use the unit for other things as well, say a fairly versetile unit? A spelling prog, good calculator, conversions, and such. Mike

I have a T|X Palm Pilot. I use GeoNiche for holding the cache information, since the Garmin does not load the notes, etc. I purchased the TomTom for the palm, so I can use it for driving and I have the BT GPSr to use with the GeoNiche.

There are a few different programs that you can use for paperless caching but by far the most common is CacheMate. This is the program that you will download into your palm to read the cache descriptions, logs, hints, ect. You will also need a program on your computer to handle your pocket querries of caches. Geocaching Swiss Army Knife (GSAK) for PC and CacheMate for Mac seem to be among the best ones.

Here is a link to a great article on paperless caching by the Florida Geocaching Association.

http://www.floridacaching.com/index.php?op...20&Itemid=9

Good luck.

I have both a Palm m500 and an m515. Both work well for Geocaching with Cachemate installed. If you want one that has a few more features, the Zire 72 Silver Edition is pretty cool. All of these units are easy to see in bright sunlight. Some of the other models, including the TX are hard to see outside. You should be able to get a Palm m500 that connects to your computer with USB for less than $30.00.

For "paperless" caching, you will want to become a Premium Member. Then you can get Pocket Queries. I use GSAK (Geocaching Swiss Army Knife) on my PC to handle all the PQ data.

I am a newbie with Geocaching and would like to go paperless. My GPS unit is a Vista HCX. I was wondering if there is any that allows you to put the map that is at the bottom of the caches description on to your PDA. Being new, I like to look at the map that I used to be able to copy on paper with the cache description. For some reason, you can't do that anymore. It will not allow you to copy and print the map.

Anyway, I am a premium member, but do not understand the Pocket Queries stuff. Computer challenged ya know... I did read the site that scaber posted, but still was confused...

So, I am wondering if there is something even us computer/electronic challenged people could use with simple instructions to go paperless.

Thanks,

Linda

Thanks for the info fellows, Mike