My 60CSx came today, should I update the firmware?

snatiep

Hello Everyone!

My 60 CSx came today and I have been fiddling around with it a little bit and I have installed the Trip and Waypoint Manager on my computer.

I noticed there is an update for the 60CSx but I'm not sure if there is an update for the Trip and Waypoint software.

Should I go ahead and update everything to the newest version?

Thank You!

Hello Everyone!

My 60 CSx came today and I have been fiddling around with it a little bit and I have installed the Trip and Waypoint Manager on my computer.

I noticed there is an update for the 60CSx but I'm not sure if there is an update for the Trip and Waypoint software.

Should I go ahead and update everything to the newest version?

Thank You!

Yes,

It will only update the firmware in your GPS. Most updates are not that noticeable, but you want the latest before you start loading in all your waypoints and caches.

I would recommend that you update the software on the unit. I’ve been using 3.70 since it came out and haven’t seen any problems.

The update for the computer would be for MapSource, not T&WM. If your current version is 6.13.7, stay with it and do not upgrade to 6.14.1. See this thread if you want to know why. If your version of MapSource is older than 6.13.7, you might want to upgrade to it. Post #52 in that thread by FloatingSpots explains how to obtain version 6.13.7.

Edited by roybassist

Personally, I review the list of changes/fixes in the update I am planning on installing first, and if I do not see anything that fixes a problem I am having or is something I see as positively beneficial, I don't do the upgrade.

Unless you are really getting a benefit out of it, why bother risking update problems? I am not sure what was exactly in the last Vista update to incent people to install it, but I bet those folks are wishing they had not.

I think, at least in some cases, you can revert to an older version, but why even hassle with doing that if the update isn't going to give you a measureable benefit?

When I got my 60CSX last week, it had 3.60 on it. I checked what 3.70 had to offer....

Fix issue where bathymetric (underwater depth) lines would not show up in non-marine night color mode.

Fix issue where tide page can show the wrong date.

Fix shutdown when the day view calendar page has more than 9 waypoints and a point at index greater than 9 is deleted.

Fix issue where tracklog setting was changed when unit was put into mass storage mode.

Except for maybe the last one, I dont get much from those. Since I check the tracklog settings whenever I start tracking, it's no big deal to not update. So I didn't bother.

Perhaps I am just being paranoid, carrying a fear over from my original eTrex Legend where the update software said something to the effect that if this thing blows up your GPS, too bad, your SOL.

Personally, I review the list of changes/fixes in the update I am planning on installing first, and if I do not see anything that fixes a problem I am having or is something I see as positively beneficial, I don't do the upgrade.

Unless you are really getting a benefit out of it, why bother risking update problems?

Because I don’t trust Garmin to document all the changes they may have made. There could, for example, be changes to correct problems they would prefer not to admit existed.

Perhaps I am just being paranoid, carrying a fear over from my original eTrex Legend where the update software said something to the effect that if this thing blows up your GPS, too bad, your SOL.

And perhaps I’m just being cynical to think that Garmin wouldn’t be completely forthright in documenting all the changes in the update. ;) Anyway, in 13 years of updating firmware in units, I’ve never had a problem with it not being successful. Which doesn’t mean that it might not happen the next time; but the risk doesn’t seem great. I do download the file and install it manually whenever possible, since the Webupdater seems to have reliability problems.