I want to make a geocoin...

CM2080

Make it a personal coin and post your art early which will raise the attention of the curious. Describe what the design means to you so forum members get to know more about you and your coin. Post pics of the samples you get from the mint and minimize the finish and colour variations. 12 different versions of the same coin is a definite turn off.

But that's just my nickel's worth and free advise isn't even worth that much.

Make it a personal coin and post your art early which will raise the attention of the curious...

Jumping off from this excellent comment of Droo's, let me state that, if you made a personal geocoin that has the same design as the little icon of your original post, it would likely sell very well, IMUO. Do it in black nickel and maybe shiny gold, don't overcharge for it (in other words, round up to the nearest half-dollar; if you make a few cents on each one, nobody rational will bitch; the irrational will gripe about anything :D), charge a fair price for shipping, and do not, under any circumstances, do a pre-sale, and I suspect that you'll have a winner. Pre-sales do not go over very well, any more, but you can certainly ask folks to reserve their order, which gives you an idea of interest. But be willing to put up the whole cost of the thing yourself, before you see a penny of anyone else's money. Personal geocoins are very popular, as they *mean something* to the issuer. Oddly-shaped designs, or even round coins with odd shapes on them, are also very popular; your icon is a natural, again IMUO. I'd buy three of those, just because that is an interesting design. Speaking of which, be sure, if it is trackable, to have a unique icon, which in this case will be pretty easy to come up with :D Folks will pay extra for that icon if the design of the coin is a good one.

And there's my 3½¢ :D Good luck!

red' date='Jul 31 2008, 03:25 AM' post='3580396']

I want to make a geocoin. What kind of cost am I looking at? Any success stories? And failures? And tips for me so I don't end up with a flop?

Depends what you want to do, make a commercial coin or make personal coin.