Pocket Internet Explorer and Downloading GPX files?

I have a Samsung Blackjack II Smartphone Windows Mobile 6 Standard (non-touch screen). Using Internet Explorer I will write down the coordinates from the geocaching.com website. From there I manually enter them into the WM6 version of Cachemate (incredible program for $8) manually.

It seems that Internet Explorer will not allow me to download the gpx file for the cache. I used a program called FEADIE that was supposed to allow a file with the .gpx extension to be saved from the geocaching.com website. It still indicates that this file type cannot be viewed. "Viewed" does not mean actual viewing of the file, but downloading it, or saving it, etc.

Does anyone know of a way to get past this? I can run Pocket Queries and email it to my Blackjack, but that is to much of a process to simply get one set of coords so I can get a quick FTF. :unsure:

My guess is a registry edit will do it. BTW - READIE simply adds a registry key for the .gpx extension. Seems like it should work and that is the purpose of the program, but it doesn't.

Any help would be appreciated.

CB

This one plaqued me for a while too since I have been using windows mobile devices with cachemate for a while.Click on the Gpx Button it should ask if you want to download the file cache_datails.aspx or something very similar.Save this somewhere on your device.I have a folder on my memory card named gpx that I save these too.Now go to where you saved it and manually rename it cache.gpx and it should work fine(cache can be whatever name you want as long as you manually enter the .gpx at the end.I love it now for going after FTF caches

CrazyOn2Wheels

Chrome Beast;

If that's a Windows Mobile device, are you synching it to a PC? If so you can use the PC or get your .gpx files and then drag them to the Samsung. The best way is to be a premium member, develop some pocket queries and then use an application like GSAK to pick and choose which caches you want and it will generate a .gpx file (subset or superset) that you can drop onto the phone.

Never used cachemate, but very much like backcountry navigator from Crittersoft. He makes a program specific for handhelds running WM.

Good Luck!

Chrome Beast;

If that's a Windows Mobile device, are you synching it to a PC? If so you can use the PC or get your .gpx files and then drag them to the Samsung. The best way is to be a premium member, develop some pocket queries and then use an application like GSAK to pick and choose which caches you want and it will generate a .gpx file (subset or superset) that you can drop onto the phone.

Never used cachemate, but very much like backcountry navigator from Crittersoft. He makes a program specific for handhelds running WM.

Good Luck!

I do sync to PC, and use GSAK and Pocket Queries for 99% of my geocaching. It's the new cache that gets published in my area and I want to get to it quick. Sure I can easily write down the coords and enter them into Cachemate (which will navigate you to the cache), but why do all that if I can download them and import with no paper involved.

I have no problems getting a .gpx from the PC to WM device. Actually, I can run PQ's from my handheld, get the emailed file and import it in to cachemate. I am just looking for a real quick way to d/l a single .gpx.

Thanks Everyone!

To follow up:

I got it to work. I had my wife use her ATT Tilt and try to d/l the .gpx. She got a prompt to save the .aspx file. That got me thinking about ASP pages. ASPX is a Server-generated Web page based on ActiveX scripting that uses the Microsoft ASP.NET framework; ASP code is first processed on the Web server and the resulting HTML code is sent to the user's Web browser. Funny, but the Blackjack II running WM6 did not recognize the .aspx extension.

I used a program called FEADIE and added the .aspx extension to the registry. Very easy process. At that point I was able to save the file to the device. I then fired up Cachemate and imported the .aspx file. It worked perfect. I didn't even need to change the file name. All I need to do was to select the option during the import process to look for all files.

So problem solved. 3 days of frustration solved. Immediately a better mood resulted. lol

Hope this helps someone.

Shane