Garmin Vista Cx to Vista HCx. Is it worth it to upgrade?

I currently have a Garmin eTrex Vista Cx that I purchased earlier this year from someone.

I am thinking of selling the Vista Cx on here and upgrading for a used Garmin eTrex Vista HCx.

For those of you who have had both devices,

1. ) Is it worth upgrading?

2.) Is there a noticeable difference in the time it takes to lock on to sattelites?

3.) My Vista Cx has great battery life. How is the battery life in the Vista HCx? Is it less than the Vista Cx?

4.) Is the software on the device (not on the computer) exactly the same as in the Cx?

1. ) Is it worth upgrading?

Yes

2.) Is there a noticeable difference in the time it takes to lock on to sattelites?

Yes, it's big

3.) My Vista Cx has great battery life. How is the battery life in the Vista HCx? Is it less than the Vista Cx?

It's better.

4.) Is the software on the device (not on the computer) exactly the same as in the Cx?

It's basically the same. Few extra things. Have a look at the garmin site, all details are there.

Forgot to ask one question:

For the Vista Cx, when you click on "send to device" in MapSource, it takes several seconds for the software to find the device. Does the MapSource detect the Vista HCx fater than the Vista Cx?

Also are there any issues with HCx that is not present in the Cx?

You might want to read this thread. It deals with issues with the Vista HCx and it's current firmware/software.

While this seems to affect people to various degrees probably depending on your usage, it affects me quite a bit as I hike in the woods a lot. I haven't had a decent track log since I've upgraded (months) and would never recommend it to anyone based on my experience with it over the last 9 months, especially the last 2-3 months. IMO this is a currently a pretty bad unit and I get more consistent results using my Treo, a bluetooth GPSr and CacheMate w/CacheNav.

I have both, and the most important difference to me is that the HCx holds the signal _much_ better under tree cover.

I'm curious as to what version of firmware/software you are running...

I have 2.6/2.6 and unlike with previous versions, my HCx will lose the sat signal, drift wildly and will never pick the signal back up (requiring powering off/on to correct). This mostly happens in poor signal areas such as tree cover, along rock faces, etc. During a day long hike, this will happen throughout the entire day. Usually, if its a quick run into the woods (just grabbing a cache in a park or something like that), no problem though.

Anyways, don't want to hijack the thread, just thought the OP might want to read the thread I pointed to. Lots of unhappy folks with HCx (and other Garmin's using the apparently same chipset?)

I guess I won't sell my Vista Cx yet.
I'm in the same boat with my Venture Cx, the dropped signals are just not enough reason to upgrade. For me I'd need the following to upgrade:

- ability to create/store screenshots

- bigger screen, Colorado size would do fine.

- faster screen draws, the HCx family is still painfully slow.

- of course, more sensitive receiver

- daylight visability, all the older Cx receivers are excellent at this

- keep the cost at current Vista levels

Edit: A wouldn't it be nice, a switching portrait/landscape screen. :rolleyes:

In the meantime I just got a Nuvi 205W which does all the above except daylight visability and its battery life is only 5-hours. Here's a screenshot . . . sweet!!!

SpoutLake.gif

Edited by MtnHermit