starting this weekend

Alpha_Mike

Hi... I'll be starting this weekend... just ordered a GPS...

So... I take what's there and place something and then write in the book... ok...

Is it just that?

I'll start with caches close to my town... there are some there...

I've read some topics here in the forum...

so I just get there, I take what's in the cache and put something mine... that's just it...

???

do I have to log to the site and say "Been there, done that"????

So... I take what's there and place something and then write in the book... ok...

Is it just that?

so I just get there, I take what's in the cache and put something mine... that's just it...

???

In the simplest terms yes you show up, trade an item if you want, and sign the log. But there is more to it than that. Its about the location and the trip getting there. Take some time a think about why the hider brought you there. Signing the log proves that you were actually there and found the cache. There is nothing that really says you have to sign it. There is actually a whole long post about that very subject. This game seems to be kind of wide open. People play how they want to. So have fun and see lots of cool things.

Welcome Alpha_Mike! :lol:

As Stokstad mentioned, Geocaching is somewhat open to one's own interpretation. When you find a geocache it is recommended that you do sign the logbook inside at the very least. There is no requirement that you trade anything. You can if you want. But if you don't sign the logbook you do run the risk that your online log will get deleted. If the owner shows up, checks the physical logbook and doesn't see your handle, they may think you didn't really find it.

As for the online logs, again, it's not required or anything. There are folks who never log any of their finds here on the Geocaching.com site. Maybe they're not interested in keeping track of their finds, or not interested in numbers, or just don't like to. The reasons for not are numerous. About the only problem with not logging your finds online is that the owner of the cache will never know you were there. If there is a problem, say the logbook is wet, or the cache is missing, and you don't let the owner know it can cause problems for the cachers that follow you.

If you do decide to trade, do your best to trade things of equal value. This doesn't always mean "I want this Hotwheels car...they cost a dollar at the store, so I need to put something in that's exactly a dollar." Sometimes you'll find unique items that a previous Geocacher made themselves. So you want want to trade something that is equally unique or interesting. Also, if you find a Travel Bug, or Geocoin, you don't need to trade for those. They are meant to move. If you can help it along to its goal, feel free to take it, without trading, and drop it off in another cache in a timely manner.

Hope this helps!

Is it just that?

???

Here are some guidelines...

http://www.geocaching.com/about/finding.aspx

Step 4 – The Find

Huzzah! You found the cache! Congratulations! Now what?

Usually you take an item and leave an item, and enter your name and experience you had into the log book. Some people prefer to just enter their name into the log book. It’s an accomplishment enough to locate the cache.

Make sure to seal the cache and place it back where you found it. If it had some rocks covering it, please replace them. It’s pretty straightforward.

Remember that waypoint we suggested you create where your car/trail was located? Use that now to get back! You’ll be glad you had it.

When you get home, email the person who hid the cache and let them know you found it! They’re always happy to know the condition of their cache

Welcome! I suggest browsing the "Getting Started" section of the Geocaching site. http://www.geocaching.com/about/ It has a great deal of beneficial information. I highly suggest the "Glossary" section if you are just beginning as well. When I started Geocaching, many of the acronyms used confused me quite a bit. The glossary helps to make sense of a lot of what is written in log books as well as in online logs.