Palm Centro/Palm Treo 775P

It's time for my "new every two" from Verizon, and I'm thinking about these two Palms. Has anyone used either of these for paperless caching? I've been using a Palm PDA, but would love to only have to carry around my gps and a phone/pda combo instead of all three.

Thanks, fellow cachers!

It's time for my "new every two" from Verizon, and I'm thinking about these two Palms. Has anyone used either of these for paperless caching? I've been using a Palm PDA, but would love to only have to carry around my gps and a phone/pda combo instead of all three.

Thanks, fellow cachers!

I've used the Treo (600, 650 and 700p) for about 5 years with CacheMate and then GeoNiche. They work well for paperless caching and logging in the field. The Treo and the smaller Centro are fine, stable smart phones with a large library of applications.

The main limitation is that the Palm OS is dated and does not do things like multi-task, support wi-fi or A2DP, or have a built-in GPS receiver (I have used a Bluetooth unit with it). A new OS is in the works for release early next year but will require new hardware. In recent years Palm has expanded into Windows Mobile and has some nice smart phones running that OS--not something I want to switch to but worth mentioning.

I just got the Centro and it seems great so far. I loaded cachemate onto it and use it as a backup just in case my Delorme PN-20's paperless caching ability (800 character limit) falls short. I also loaded Delorme maps on it just to have it. I had Cachemate on my old Ipaq 3950, which was a Pocket PC, and the Windows version is better than the Palm but it definetly accomplishes what it needs too.

Thanks, fellow cachers!

I have the Sprint version of the Centro, and like the Verizon version, it runs on a 1xRTT/1xEV–DO 3G network. For just $15 (over my minutes plan) a month, I get unlimited data access at broadband speed. So who needs to borrow someone else's Wi-Fi? I recently drove from Dallas to northern Arkansas, through some pretty rural areas, while listening to broadband streaming audio (Radio Paradise) the whole way, by plugging the phone into my car's audio system. You can also tether it to a laptop, using the phone as a high-speed wireless modem (or you can tether wirelessly, via bluetooth).

For geocaching, it works great. I use Plucker to display cache pages, including all in-line cache page images. The Plucker Viewer can be configured to work with the keyboard/navigation ring of the newer units, or stylus navigation for the older units. I've got a 2gb card in it, and can't seem to come close to filling it up. I've got 7 e-books in it, 19 half-hour TV shows, a couple of dozen Escape Pod podcasts, and there's still plenty of room to spare.

I have the Sprint version of the Centro, and like the Verizon version, it runs on a 1xRTT/1xEV–DO 3G network. For just $15 (over my minutes plan) a month, I get unlimited data access at broadband speed. So who needs to borrow someone else's Wi-Fi? I recently drove from Dallas to northern Arkansas, through some pretty rural areas, while listening to broadband streaming audio (Radio Paradise) the whole way, by plugging the phone into my car's audio system. You can also tether it to a laptop, using the phone as a high-speed wireless modem (or you can tether wirelessly, via bluetooth).

For geocaching, it works great. I use Plucker to display cache pages, including all in-line cache page images. The Plucker Viewer can be configured to work with the keyboard/navigation ring of the newer units, or stylus navigation for the older units. I've got a 2gb card in it, and can't seem to come close to filling it up. I've got 7 e-books in it, 19 half-hour TV shows, a couple of dozen Escape Pod podcasts, and there's still plenty of room to spare.

Hey, that sounds great. Thanks for the input. But, I imagine Verizon won't be so kind on the addl charge for data access. I'll check with them tomorrow.

Hey, that sounds great. Thanks for the input. But, I imagine Verizon won't be so kind on the addl charge for data access. I'll check with them tomorrow.

Verizon is who I left for Sprint. However, Sprint wants an arm and a leg for tethering ($40 or $50 extra a month). But there are Palm apps available that routes the phone's data to your laptop, without having to pay that monthy fee. I'm paying the $15 a month to have Sprint get internet data to my Palm. What I do with it after that isn't Sprint's concern.

...I imagine Verizon won't be so kind on the addl charge for data access. I'll check with them tomorrow.

A story at Palm InfoCenter says the 775p is being quickly phased out by Verizon in favor of the Centro. The 775p is still available for only $99 from Verizon's web store, a real bargain considering that last December it cost $299.99 with a 2-year contract. It would make a great geo-smartphone so act quickly if you want one, otherwise the Centro will be the only choice. BTW, I'm on Sprint.

The main limitation is that the Palm OS is dated and does not do things like multi-task, support wi-fi or A2DP...

Well, waddayano. Pocket Tunes has a A2DP app for the Palm. How can they do that, with that "dated" OS?

The Palm OS does not natively support A2DP. Clever programmers can work around such limitations although their efforts may create conflicts with other apps. At its best bluetooth has been an iffy proposition on the Treo, but for $19.95 Softick's app is worth a try for those who want to listen to stereo music.

Edited by bigeddy

The main limitation is that the Palm OS is dated and does not do things like multi-task, support wi-fi or A2DP...

Well, waddayano. Pocket Tunes has a A2DP app for the Palm. How can they do that, with that "dated" OS?

The Palm OS does not natively support A2DP. Clever programmers can work around such limitations although their efforts may create conflicts with other apps. At its best bluetooth has been an iffy proposition on the Treo, but for $19.95 Softick's app is worth a try for those who want to listen to stereo music.

Tried it out today, and it worked a treat. Nice to be able to listen to streaming Internet music or MP3s while caching, without bothering with cords getting caught on tree limbs, etc. Don't know if I'd bother, if I didn't already own a pair of Bluetooth stereo headphones. The headphone manufacture claimed that they couldn't be paired with any other device besides the little transmitter that came with it. But it paired up nicely with my Centro.