How to do a library book cache?

The question I have has to do with physically "making" the container.

When I was a kid, I took a razor blade to a book to make a secret hiding place for money, etc. But the loose pages didn't work well. I tried gluing it together, but regardless of what I tried, the pages warped and the end result was not very convincing.

Ideas?

Thx.

I do this with my high school students. We cut out the hole out of the center. Rub white glue over the edges of the paper, both inside the hole and outside the book edges. Put wax paper between the cover and the book so the glue doesn't adhere to the cover. Close the book & set something heavy on top & leave 24 hours. Then it should be solid & ready to use as a cache! Is this clear as mud? :)

I do this with my high school students. We cut out the hole out of the center. Rub white glue over the edges of the paper, both inside the hole and outside the book edges. Put wax paper between the cover and the book so the glue doesn't adhere to the cover. Close the book & set something heavy on top & leave 24 hours. Then it should be solid & ready to use as a cache! Is this clear as mud? :)

Thanks. Last I tried this many years ago, I probably used too much glue, as it warped the pages even with a weight on the book. Smearing it on the inside surface would probably do fine. I'll practice on some 50 cent romance novel. No harm in destroying one of those!

A few things with library caches that tend to hold them up a bit:

1. Don't forget permission from the library
  2. Don't forget to use GPS somewhere along the way (not just the coords to the front door)

Actually, I plan on putting it on a bookshelf in a museum. With permission, of course. Preliminary talks underway.

I'm still deciding on how tough to make finding the location. On one hand, I'm into puzzles and multis. But this museum would appreciate the traffic that might be generated by a simple "1/1".

A quick websearch came up with this set of instructions on making a hollow book. If you do make one, be sure to post a picture so we can see how it came out.

Yowza. Thanks. Good stuff.

I have an old novel (I'm not disclosing details.....) that is terribly and horribly reproduced. Amost unreadable. It looks like a bad photocopy job from the '30s. However, the cover looks like an old 'vintage' book. Altho I treasure the contents, the book itself is worthless, and the particular book is available easily for little $$$ and in more readable format. No loss.....

Now, if only we could all team up and gut the inside of all of those trash romance novels......... Just imagine: 1,000,000 library caches!