Is this "free" GPS offer for real?

Hello, I saw this and wonder if anyone here has heard if this is legit or not. They are offering a free Garmin nuvi to all who apply and "activate" a credit card.

From what I see from the comments made by folks on the FatWallet forums it sounds ok.

http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/hot-deals/831034

I guess it's worth a try and at worst I can just cut up the card if not.

Has anyone else seen this?

It probably is... and judging from some of the later posts in that thread, it sounds like a few people have received their GPS units.

That being said, I'm typically skeptical of many of the "free stuff" offers you see on the internet. Sure, they may be legit, but there's often a catch. I've personally known several people who have followed through with those "punch the monkey*, and win an iPod!!!!!! (*the fine print: after jumping through all of these other hoops first....)" offers. Sometimes you are required to sign up for additional offers or services, listen to several sales pitches, or remember to cancel a service or "protection plan" before the monthly charges start. Or there could be some loophole that the company uses to weasel their way out of having to send you the item (You didn't sign up for the special offers in this EXACT order? You started a new browser session before submitting the referral code? Sorry, better luck next time!) Other times you'll have to put up with increased junk mail and telemarketers when your personal information is sold for money. After all, ask yourself this: why would a company be giving away something for "free" unless they were somehow making money off of it?

I'm telling you. I went to mygpsoffer.com and was nervous about giving out the information also, but this is exactly what happened.

I filled out the information online.

I got the Discoverer card about a week later.

I filled the truck up with gas (about $100)

About 2 weeks later a Garmin Nuvi came with DHL

I used it to find the Kingsburg Gun Club

I haven't put anything else on the credit card and plan to cancel it (thanks for reminding me.)

Nothing negative so far.

The credit card is just a regular credit card. I don't think it has annual fees. It probably has an outrageous interest rate, but I'll pay off the gas and not use the card before they charge me interest.

The only negative I have found is that my wife is all worried that if I cancel the card it will affect our credit. I'm not worried about it our credit's pretty good.

--Tom

I would love to do this, but I dont trust giving out my social number online.

Note that once you enter your information on the first page it takes you to another site - discoverapplication.com (IIRC) where you enter your SSN. If you look up the whois on that domain it appears to be owned by Discover.

So on the face of it, it seems the affiliate (mygpsoffer.com) doesn't get your SSN.

I applied, was approved. We'll see if they are still shipping the GPS units or supplies have run out... Have low expectations.

Andy

I would love to do this, but I dont trust giving out my social number online.

Note that once you enter your information on the first page it takes you to another site - discoverapplication.com (IIRC) where you enter your SSN. If you look up the whois on that domain it appears to be owned by Discover.

So on the face of it, it seems the affiliate (mygpsoffer.com) doesn't get your SSN.

I applied, was approved. We'll see if they are still shipping the GPS units or supplies have run out... Have low expectations.

Andy

Don't forget! As soon as you get your card you have to activate it (purchase something). This gets the GPS Unit sent.

--Tom