Rubber sides of Etrex Legend HCx

Zor

I have had my Etrex Legend HCx GPS for about 6 months now and I have started to notice that the rubber sides are starting to separate from the plastic part of the unit. It started on the top and now is slowly working itself to the side of the unit and I am wondering if anyone else has had the same problem, and if so, how have you fixed or dealt with it?

I am concerned that since the rubber is separating, it may affect the water resistance of the unit.

Hmmm ... interesting to see that Garmin still hasn't addressed this issue. It's a problem with the glue deteriorating (particularly noticable if you frequently leave the unit in the sun -- such as on a dashboard). I had this same problem with my Vista Cx when I used it heavily (I now use that as my backup preferring my 60Csx).

Can't speak for if they still do this, but I called Garmin about this each time it happened and they RMA'd the unit and gave me a new one with the rubber firmly glued in place. No charge. Just shipping costs (and the lack of a unit for a week or two while they replaced it).

I have had my Etrex Legend HCx GPS for about 6 months now and I have started to notice that the rubber sides are starting to separate from the plastic part of the unit. It started on the top and now is slowly working itself to the side of the unit and I am wondering if anyone else has had the same problem, and if so, how have you fixed or dealt with it?

I am concerned that since the rubber is separating, it may affect the water resistance of the unit.

There are at least two work arounds. You can hold it in place with a wide rubber band (the kind that grocers use on broccoli work pretty well). You can also reattach the band by cleaning off the old glue and using double sided Scotch tape.

Same problem with the Vista Hcx.

Update: Just went to support at www.garmin.com the email link returns a blank page. Called the support phone number, recording says to expect a 30-35 min wait for the next avaulable rep.

Sheesh!

Edited by jjreds

It was about 6 months for mine, as well. I contacted Garmin and they sent out a new gasket and two-sided tape for me to repair it myself. I requested to be put on a 6 month subscription for them! :ph34r:

I also asked if they had any plans to fix the problem, and the cust rep said that they had not been notified of any such plans. At my request, she forwarded my email to the engineering department. I'd suggest we all barrage them with such emails until they finally realize how big the problem really is!

I honestly do not know of anybody that's had an eTrex model that hasn't had this problem. One friend has successfully used a silicone glue to glue it back on (but be careful not to get any in the buttons if you try this!)

I've actually pondered trying krazy glue or something else, but the rubber band idea is not too bad but still kind of a pain in the butt.

It's my first GPS and having not had it for even a year, it's a bit annoying.

... but the rubber band idea is not too bad but still kind of a pain in the butt.

It's a pretty minor inconvenience, really. And, it's easy enough to work the buttons with the rubber band in place. Here is a picture of my Legend C. I did put Scotch tape under the gasket but, by the time I got around to it, I was used to the rubber band and decided to put it back on.

P7080021.JPG

no problems here yet, but thanks for the heads up. I'll be a little more careful with it now.

Being careful doesn't seem to matter. I kept mine out of hot cars (most of the 6 months I had it were winter in Minnesota months), I was careful to not "slide" the rubber as I pushed the buttons, etc.

Using rubber bands for a 6 month old GPS that cost hundreds of dollars is pretty sad, I think. I still say that everyone with this problem should email Garmin and make your displeasure known to them.

I live in very warm country and this has happened to me twice over a 3 year period. Garmin recommended that I send the unit back to them and they will replace the rubber sides. Its like a large rubber band around the unit and it stretches over time and separates from the unit in hot weather. Its an inferior engineering design. You will of course have to pay for such service. Tom

Continuous problems even with the new etrexes which is still annoying. I take the band off, clean up the old adhesive with "goo off", place a layer of silicone aquarium sealant on the unit under where the gasket will be, **being careful not to cover up the buttons**. I then replace the gasket, wipe off the excess, let dry o/n or longer. Lasts for over a year like that.

Well for now, I've placed a rubber band around the edges and the band I got was a little thinner than the one shown above, but it still holds it together nicely and I can fit it on one side of each of the buttons so that it doesn't cover them. Awesome idea. Thank you very much.

And yes, Garmin should get this fixed.

I got a replacement Legend Cx last November. The rubber started to lift last week. This is the 3rd Legend I've had that the glue has gone bad.

You would think they could redesign the unit so they wouldn't use double sided tape (seems archaic it my books).

My etrex legend has had problems with that too. I got it from my uncle who bought it in '03 i think, and the rubber around it has ripped and the adhesive has come off. my answer is super glue. The Screen also has recently been going wacky on me. I'm thinking about sending it in soon

I have a buddy who used 3M 4905 VHB Tape (2 mil Clear) to fix this problem a few years ago on his heavily used eTrex and it’s still holding up. My understanding is that it’s a similar kind of product to the one that is used by Garmin but of much better quality. In fact, this tape has ratings for structural applications.