How do I read this.

djustice

OK, I'm as new as they come. Just got my GPS. Never used one before. All of the corodinats are in deg. and feet as far as I can tell. I had a friend give me a location in minutes and seconds. Can't find that on my unit. What's up?

If you'll tell us what make and model you have, we might be able to guide you thru the correct screen sequence to get to that setting option.

Feet and minutes use the same short hand symbol. Example: 42° 53.135' is forty two degrees, fifty three and one hundred thirty five thousandths minutes, whereas 53.135' could mean fifty three and one hundred thirty five thousandths feet or fifty three and one hundred thirty five thousandths minutes, though it would most likely be feet, without the degrees included.

I'm not saying this is the issue, though I don't think I've seen a GPSr set to use degrees and feet.

OK, I'm as new as they come. Just got my GPS. Never used one before. All of the corodinats are in deg. and feet as far as I can tell. I had a friend give me a location in minutes and seconds. Can't find that on my unit. What's up?

I have a legend hcx. On mine, I choose setup from the main menu- then choose units from the setup menu- then change the reading in position format. it has many different choices there. I am also new at this, but hope somehow this makes sense and helps :(