Rookie question/questionable difficulty rating/FL specific considerations

Cordelia9

OK, there is a cache in this tree:

Vine.jpg

It is a rather narrow opening, you cannot see the container, and you have to reach pretty far inside the tree for it. The owner of the cache rated it 1.5 in difficulty-- I can only guess that he or she is not from around here, and therefore assumed that anything that close to a road, in a public park, relatively easy to locate, etc. did not rate as difficult.

My problem with this rating is that this is Florida, and this cache violates one of the fundamental laws of living in Florida: namely, never, ever, put your hands into any crack crevice, space, hollow log, drainpipe, etc. that you cannot see into. Spider bites are no joke. Same goes for snakes, scorpions, rodents, snapping turtles, and other grouchy wildlife-- all of which I have encountered while living here, and which will mostly leave you alone unless you go sticking your hands into their homes.

That said, I've only logged 13 caches, so for all I know this is par for the course.

So... for you more experienced cachers out there, especially in Florida, is 1.5 an acceptable difficulty rating for this scenario? Should I include a *bring gloves* warning in the notes? Or is this perfectly normal and I am just being squeamish?

Hmmm ... let's see ... GPSr takes me into the woods and points me to a tree with a big hole in the side. I'm thinking 1.5 might be overrated! :D

In all seriousness, difficulty is a representation of how hard it will be to find the cache (type of camo, amount of time it might take you to find the hiding spot, etc.) not necessarily the squeamishness of the seeker.

Common sense should always prevail, but heavy leather gloves, a flash light, mirror, and a long sleeve shirt or jacket are all required caching gear in my book. All of which could be easily applied here and allowed a safe research into the location before diving in for the grab.

Hmmm ... let's see ... GPSr takes me into the woods and points me to a tree with a big hole in the side. I'm thinking 1.5 might be overrated! :D

In all seriousness, difficulty is a representation of how hard it will be to find the cache (type of camo, amount of time it might take you to find the hiding spot, etc.) not necessarily the squeamishness of the seeker.

Common sense should always prevail, but heavy leather gloves, a flash light, mirror, and a long sleeve shirt or jacket are all required caching gear in my book. All of which could be easily applied here and allowed a safe research into the location before diving in for the grab.

Yeah, I'd have thought it easier if it was in the woods, but it's in a tiny neighborhood park, and I can see where gloves and a mirror might excite some unwanted curiosity in residents and park-goers. I suppose I could pretend to be catching spiders... :D

I've taken pictures of bugs in parks while pulling a cache out of a hole and explained to some curious toddlers and moms that I was watching the ants at another one. There'd be nothing suspicious about wearing gloves while you're "examining" trees.

Personally, I carry a pair of leather gloves, but not sure I've ever put them on. I might grab a stick and poke around sometimes or use my flashlight if I can't see into a space, but I don't sweat it too often.

And I agree with Lasagna, a 1.5 is even pushing it a bit. The spot should be easy to figure out and it doesn't look too hard to retrieve it from the hole.

I have a REAL problem with heights...I've done some 1* difficulty caches that were way too close to the edge of overhangs for my comfort (terrain rated appropriately, btw). For me, those were MUCH more difficult than a 1 star....but the locations were fairly obvious and not hard to find. Just hard for me to suck it up and go for them.

Ok, thanks, guys. I have since added gloves to my bag, and if the difficulty rating only applies to how hard it is to find the location, not how hard it is to retrieve the cache container, then 1.5 makes sense. I wouldn't call it super-easy, as there's heavy tree cover that throws the GPS off, and at least three such hollow trees in the park. Now I know.

Ok, thanks, guys. I have since added gloves to my bag, and if the difficulty rating only applies to how hard it is to find the location, not how hard it is to retrieve the cache container, then 1.5 makes sense. I wouldn't call it super-easy, as there's heavy tree cover that throws the GPS off, and at least three such hollow trees in the park. Now I know.

sooo...how did it go? Do let us know if you got it...just kinda curious.

Having once lived in Louisiana for 9 years, I would think once or twice before sticking my hand in there, even now long back in Michigan. Mental note to myself: get a long

retractable handled mirror!

thanks!

sooo...how did it go? Do let us know if you got it...just kinda curious.

Having once lived in Louisiana for 9 years, I would think once or twice before sticking my hand in there, even now long back in Michigan. Mental note to myself: get a long

retractable handled mirror!

thanks!

Got it today!

I'd say its a 1.5. Try bringing a trekking pole and use it to poke around in dark places.

If I want to look inside a hollow tree/log, I always hit it from outside first. I don't want to accidentally poke a little furry critter in the nose.

I have seen more snakes up her in North Carolina than I ever saw living/caching in Florida.

You do have us beat on spiders, though.