Time and quantity of travel bugs in possession

stormhiker

I'm relatively new to geocaching. I've grabbed a few travel bugs and tried to move them along in a short time. Usually within a few weeks. And I try to drop them off in a different area than I found them. I grabbed a travel bug today that had sat in someone's possession for a year before being dropped in a cache. I feel this is way too long. How long should a travel bug be in one's possession before being moved on? And is it okay to grab more than one travel bug from a cache? I found a cache last week that had three and no one had found it for a couple of months. I didn't take any because I already had a travel bug in my possession.

I'm relatively new to geocaching. I've grabbed a few travel bugs and tried to move them along in a short time. Usually within a few weeks. And I try to drop them off in a different area than I found them. I grabbed a travel bug today that had sat in someone's possession for a year before being dropped in a cache. I feel this is way too long. How long should a travel bug be in one's possession before being moved on? And is it okay to grab more than one travel bug from a cache? I found a cache last week that had three and no one had found it for a couple of months. I didn't take any because I already had a travel bug in my possession.

Travel bugs are meant to move, if you can assist 2 or 20 towards their goals do it. If anyone says you can't move my bug, I'd like to have a chat with them.

As for someone holding a bug, they may have held it for a while and then dropped it in a cache the same day you found it. You need to give them some time to log it.

If there is every any doubt send them a polite email to find out what is going on. No response? Wait a couple days before grabbing it away.

i always try to move them on and swop something for them, if there is more than one i usually only take one but if they have been there for ages id take all 3... Generally people like to see them move but also some people like to have tb/coins in their caches some could get a little shirty if you take all of them without a good reason.... Personally i love moving them

I grabbed a travel bug today that had sat in someone's possession for a year before being dropped in a cache. I feel this is way too long. How long should a travel bug be in one's possession before being moved on?

You should 'retrieve' the tavel bug, rather than 'grabbing' it. Concensus says two weeks. A month is more realistic. That does not affect how long it was in the cache, however.

One can retrieve as many travel bugs as one wants from a cache, if they can help them, and move them along fairly soon. If the bug has been in the cache a few months, I would not have any qualms about moving it to a new cache. We like to see our bugs move. I've had up to ten in my possesion at one time. Strewed them all across Maine! No limit on how many you can have, as long as you move them along in a timely fashion.

I have been a terrible offender by having 2 for 4 months unintentionally. I actually couldn't find them in my home forgetting that I had put them in a cache I prepared to place but was unable to do to location issues. I opened the cache this morning to look for something else and there they were! I am placing them this afternoon at one of my own caches nearby. I think a month is realistic since not everyone can get out every week to cache though we would all like to!

It's recommended that you should try and move any trackable onwards within 2 weeks. Many people find that a bit difficult if they happen to live in a micro-rich environment (Do you like that phrase? :anitongue: ) or they only have time to go caching once a month. Personally, I don't get concerned about mine unless they've been stuck for a couple of months... after 3 months I usually send one of my "polite enquiry" emails...

MrsB :laughing:

Move as many as you want to, whenever you can, as soon as you can. You don't have to trade a TB for a TB. All you have to do is move them and log them responsibly. They are meant to travel, and if you want to bring them along with some traveling companions that's fine. Just don't overwhelm yourself with logging more than you can handle at a time.

If you find that you've got one in your possession longer than you feel is comfortable, send a quick email to the owner through their profile page and let them know it is not lost, it is not forgotten, and that you still plan on placing it soon. That right there makes them happy that it is cared for.

And always teach newbies how to log. And we can't just show them how to find a container, without telling them what to do with the contents they may find inside.

Grab, retrieve, or discover! There IS a difference :anitongue:

The two week reference is the time frame before you get the little notice on your profile page that you've been holding them that long. It's a friendly reminder to check the bottom of your caching pack.