GARMNIN MAPSOURCE UNLOCK INTERNET ERROR

Hi I am trying to unlock the topo GB mapsource product I have bought for a Garmin Colarado 300. I managed to get mapsource to find the device to unlock (in the unit goto settings then system, then interface, then choose "garmin spanner", then connect to computer and when the the unit says "usb cable detected do you wish to use mass storage" be sure to select "no").

Now I get another new error from map source program that says "Error accessing the internet (12038). Please verift the internet connection and try again". Before anyone asks... no i am not using a firewall and no i am not behind a proxy server. Of course I should call customer support but they are not open at weekends.

Anyone know the answer to this plese?

ps. why is garmin so dreadful?

Edited by willyhoops

Hi I am trying to unlock the topo GB mapsource product I have bought for a Garmin Colarado 300. I managed to get mapsource to find the decive to unlock (in the unit goto settings then system, then interface, then choose "garmin spanner", then connect to computer and when the the unit says "usb cable detected do you wish to use mass storage" be sure to select "no").

Now I get another new error from map source program that says "Error accessing the internet (12038). Please verift the internet connection and try again". Before anyone asks... no i am not using a firewall and no i am not behind a proxy server. Of course I should call customer support but they are not open at weekends.

Anyone know the answer to this plese?

ps. why is garmin so dreadful?

Sounds like your on vista.......there is a patch you need to download first......try this....... http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/us/l...n/searchsupport

Edited by Team LRS

Wow thanks for the fast reply but no I am not running Vista. I already tried the dreadful garmin product support search (the link you posed) but get no hits on any question i can think of. Their web site is a terrible as thier software!

I found one post on this forum:

Logsplitter

I downloaded the program city navigator for my gps and for some reason it is not letting me get into unlocking codes for more maps. Does anyone know how to do this or have any suggestions on how to proceed with unlocking for codes.

Lucky46

Logsplitter, I just went through this and finally got my 25 digit unlock code from the Garmin site.

Go there and creat an account with them and go to Mapsource unlock. They will ask for an 8 digit serial number on the back of the box. It isn't mentioned but they are referring to the serial number of your GPS unit. Took me 2 hours before I called them and they related this to me. Is your GPS registered with them? If not you may have to do that first. The software cd didn't work for me either. Good luck.

But this advice is useless to me becuase even if i go to garmin.co.uk and then product register all i get is a drop down box with a list of US products! god i hate this company so much!!!!!!!!

Here is the fist product review over at amazon.co.uk for this product:

The software is fine once you get it working, but they couldn't have made it harder to get to that stage if they'd tried. They have an "unlock" procedure before you can use the software, which, frankly, just doesn't work. You have to enter an 8 digit code, connect up your GPS, and then click various buttons, only to be told that the software can't unlock because of an error.

Eventually, I was able to unlock it by going through an even lengthier process on the Garmin website. However, by that time I'd wasted most of an afternoon when I'd really rather have been out walking.

If Garmin want people to buy this, then they need to make sure that it actually works.

Pity he did not say how he solved the problem.

It's not surprise that garmin was blown out of the water on in car navigation by TOMTOM. Pity there is still so little competition in hiking.

Edited by willyhoops

I found it eventually... On the garmin web site the search does not work (or maybe it is down now)... but the browse does. After scrolling through various questions I got to this page:

Question: I get the message “error accessing internet” when trying to unlock my maps, how can this be fixed?

Answer:

There is a simple fix for this, all you need to do is get the latest version of mapsource from the Garmin website.

To do this please

Close down your mapsource program

Go to http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=209

Click on the link to Download (47.72MB)) to get the update (please ignore the link for the "US Topo Patch")

Restart your computer to allow the changes to take effect

Open mapsource and go through the unlock process again.

Alternatively the mapping can be unlocked manually through your myGarmin account.

Please go to https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/customers/myGarminHome.faces

If your GPS unit isn't showing in this account go to Product Registration and register your GPS unit

Once your unit is registered, click on "My Maps"

Click on "Manage Maps"

Click on "Add mapping with coupon code" or "Redeem additional unlock coupon"

Then follow the instructions on screen to obtain your unlock code.

Once you have your unlock code you will need to open the mapsource program.

If the unlock wizard does not open automatically press CTRL + U and follow the instructions to enter a 25 character code.

After entering the code you will prompted to register, at this stage click on close to close down the unlock wizard as you have already registered your GPS and maps.

Now I have it working ok. I can see the maps and am not wildly impressed by the level of detail but at least it works. Proper OS maps on the new ipod touch would have been much better.

The next step is not that obvious ... but you have to zoom out as far as possible.... use what looks like the trace tool in photoshop to highlight everthing in the uk... then you can click transfer to device.... when i did this it then lost the driver and said please enter the path to "grmnusb.sys" which is in windows\system32\drivers. i love it.

Edited by willyhoops

After a few hours it crashed and i can't get any decent detail on the device. Now i formatted the card in an SD drive and it confirms 1.9Gb free but when I put it back in the unit and try to transfer the mapit tells me only 374Mb is available. it makes no sense what now?

Edited by willyhoops

Ok I get it... in order for this to work you have say yes to the mass storage option when you put in it in instead of no as you did in order to recognise the device for the unlock process. now you see two hard drives... one is garmins own hard drive and one is the blank sd card you have inserted. you have to be sure to select this drive before you transfer the maps or it works for a few hours and then crashes. garmin i love you more and more every minute. please tomtom... please ... go into the hiking market...

Edited by willyhoops

no it failed again... "sephamore write failure" or something... i see i can transfer using a usb card reader instead of the garmin device. maybe this is the way to do it...

I have the sd card reader in the laptop and upload the maps thatway......but the gpx files i just plug it in via the usb.

Yea I figured because the maps are locked i would have to use the garmin unit to transfer the files - but no that's incorrect. Pity they don't bother giving instructions. It's transfering the files now but has been saying 33 minutes remaining for the last hour or so... I am thinking maybe I should write of the investment and get a SATMAP with all 1:50,000 UK OS maps for £500.

Edited by willyhoops

Yea I figured because the maps are locked i would have to use the garmin unit to transfer the files - but no that's incorrect. Pity they don't bother giving instructions. It's transfering the files now but has been saying 33 minutes remaining for the last hour or so... I am thinking maybe I should write of the investment and get a SATMAP with all 1:50,000 UK OS maps for £500.

When i loaded the maps of all the uk 1.6gb it got stuck on about 2hrs so i stoped it and formated the card in the laptop then loaded the same direct to the card......did it during the night so dont know how long it took but it worked.

As someone else living in the UK, I was also far from impressed at the detail of the UK TOPO maps, given their expense. There are even major paths missing from it.

I'm not impressed at the Mapsource software either, given the amount of money that we are spending on these GPS units.

It does seem to take several hours to load the TOPO maps onto units. Mine took around 3 - 4 hours last time.

Edited by Mike Hartland

I got it working at last! Cool!

Yes the detail is much less than OS maps but i guess some would say it is good enough for hiking. Maybe you still have to look at a proper OS map to plan a route beforehand and then enter the way points into the garmin, but after than the small screen and low detail map maybe good enough.

Still the complete 1:50,000 OS maps for the Satmap are £200 but this product is £120 with much amounts of detail missing. Therefore I agree it does not make much sense. But should one go for the www.satmap.com or wait until you can get UK OS maps on the new 3g iphone? The satmap has a 640x480 screen and waterproofing and long battery life so I guess it would be the obvious choise if there were not so many complaints about bugs in it floating around.

I put a screen shot of the Garmin Map vs the SatMap map (taken from the web of Ambleside) and it looks like there are paths missing indeed:

http://www.willyhoops.com/garmin_colorado_...mage_review.htm

Anyway I have my humble garmin colarado working now and will not rush out to spend £500 on the satmap quite yet. I note they added distance to next in the latest firmware which is a big help.

Edited by willyhoops

Maybe you still have to look at a proper OS map to plan a route beforehand and then enter the way points into the garmin, but after than the small screen and low detail map maybe good enough.

Yes you certainly need to use a paper map, and take one with you when you walk (just in case your batteries die).

My method for planning routes now involves finding where I want to walk using the paper map, identifying the waymarks on Google Earth, entering the Lat / Lon into Mapsource, creating the route and then tranferring it to the GPS unit. It may seem long winded, but it does mean that I am no longer wandering around in circles, trying to get close enough to a waymark that it registers and directs me to the next one.

Thats an interesting view........care to tell us how ?......please

I do not understand which image you are interested in?

This is what I see on my Garmin iQue.

screenshotgt9.jpg

Sorry mate.......just read the posts again........i would have liked to see this image on the garmin 60 :angry: